Jump to content

Some Advice Needed


kazaba

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Hello. So, I've purchased a couple of those top fin plants in the tubes (anubias and java fern), and I wanted to know if I should somehow disinfect them even though they weren't exposed to any fish. I guess it wouldn't hurt to be safe, but I know that some disinfectants can be very harsh on the plants, and I have been unable to find the recommended potassium permanganate anywhere! Is there an alternative, less-harsh disinfectant, or could I get away with not disinfecting them at all and just leaving them in qt for a while?

Also, will it be a problem for the plants if the tank temperature is not always optimal? It usually hovers around 70, but it can go as low as 65 and as high as 75. I don't have a heater and am not particularly keen on buying one (a little short on $).

Thanks in advance :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I would do a bleach bath. Get a bucket and do 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. So I would say about a cup or less of bleach to 19 cups of water. Just don't put too much bleach in there. Do it for at least a minute to two minutes and then rinse the plant extremely well, and then let it soak in some dechlorinated water. This should do the trick for you :)

It also depends on the plant, it could be risky if there are fluctuations, and it's risky for your fish too. At 70 degrees it shouldn't bother them though :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I would do a bleach bath. Get a bucket and do 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. So I would say about a cup or less of bleach to 19 cups of water. Just don't put too much bleach in there. Do it for at least a minute to two minutes and then rinse the plant extremely well, and then let it soak in some dechlorinated water. This should do the trick for you :)

It also depends on the plant, it could be risky if there are fluctuations, and it's risky for your fish too. At 70 degrees it shouldn't bother them though :D

Is it OK to do repeated bleach treatments on the same plant ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I wouldn't because some plants are sensitive. Some have even been known to melt if bleached for too long. My anubias got brown tips after their bleach bath, but soon recovered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I wouldn't because some plants are sensitive. Some have even been known to melt if bleached for too long. My anubias got brown tips after their bleach bath, but soon recovered.

Thank You

Would PP be safer to do multiple treatments ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...