Adding Frozen Shrimp/bloodworm To Gel Food

Guest Fin

Hello,

I'd like to make some gel food using some frozen bloodworm and mysis shrimp I have (plus veggies of course). But can I do this considering the shrimp and bloodworm will thaw while making the gel food, and then be refrozen? Or is that completely unsafe?

thanks!

Oh how is cute little Fin?!

I don't know about the worms. But if it is like meat or fish it usually isn't recommended to thaw+refreeze. Maybe you could make a smaller batch and keep it in the fridge? That is how I do it, I keep if for a week and make a new one then.

Nice to have you back!

Hi Federica... that's true, I didn't think about just keeping it in the fridge. I could do that. :ymmu

Fin is doing great! He's getting a little plumper too which makes me happy :happydance

How's everything on your end?

Happy Halloween! :scared

• Supporter

hey. welcome back!.. yeah, i use blood worms in my gel food too.. i defrost it in the fridge and add it to the mixture.. therefor it's not at room temp for too long..

because of this too, i keep the veggies cold so that the blood worms don't drop in temp too much before they are frozen in the gel food again.

Hi Federica... that's true, I didn't think about just keeping it in the fridge. I could do that.

Fin is doing great! He's getting a little plumper too which makes me happy

How's everything on your end?

Happy Halloween!

YEY! I am so happy he is doing better AND growing! :bingo:

Here all is fine too :)

Happy Halloween!

Grrrr! I can't believe this... I made a huge batch of gel food the other day with awesome ingredients and it didn't set (my fault... i didn't know you couldn't put boiling water directly into gelatin power. live and learn). Anyway, even after adding more gelatin (a lot more) it still wouldn't set so I threw it out and started over. :wall What a waste. Anyways, the new batch looks great and has set properly. I used peas, carrots, broccoli, a little cucumber, spinach, garlic, mysis shrimp, sinking pellets and tuna. I just fed Fin the first cube and he HATES it! Wouldn't barely touch it! He took a couple nibbles and that was it. I haven't fed him since yesterday so he's definitely hungry. I don't get it. :hmm