Hi Fin Banded Shark,

mikroll

have just acquired a myxocyprinus asiaticus and would welcome any comments on care or experiences with this creature. From what i underestand they are simular to goldfish habits, cold water, eat vegetables,like losts of room etc. so far , 2 day,it just sits on bottom and i think it has eaten some spinach. it will remain indoors untill Spring and them go out side to clean pond. pictured is fish in QT tank

P1070441.jpg

These fish are native to China and are endangered due to human development. They are not captive-bred for the aquarium trade, which means all specimens are caught from wild, already endangered populations. I consider them unethical to keep as pets because of this. But since you (probably) didn't know that when you bought it, certainly I don't blame you for it. Now that you know though, hopefully you won't get any more of them! I've read their adult size is approx. 40 inches, so you will need a huge, huge tank. Also apparently as they grow to full size (which is unlikely in a small home aquarium) their body loses the "tallness" and they become more long and cylindrical in shape.

Here's a little info page I found:

http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/myxocyprinus/myxocyprinus.html

thanks for comments, no i was not aware of their status but saw them sold and described this Spring at Tennesse plant web site as excellent cleaner fish for ponds. And just happened to see this one in local shop. It will be placed as stated in a pond when weather warms in Spring that can easy provide the required room. pictured is pond

DSCN6257.jpg

i have always found these fish so interesting, but never knew they are captured in the wild like that... Nope wont be having one on those :)

actualy we do not really know where or how this fish was bred (yet).

That well be a wonderful home for it.

Would you mind if I save that picture to use for a calendar backgfround sometime?

thank you and yes it should be very ok for it as it is full of alage and he will have plenty of company with the koi who live there. go ahead and enjoy picture background ,use it, but i think there are a few more in that album that are better with flowers.

i have always found these fish so interesting, but never knew they are captured in the wild like that... Nope wont be having one on those :)

actualy we do not really know where or how this fish was bred (yet).

The website I gave you a link to above claims these fish are all wild-caught:

Since the fish is not really "captive bred" in the aquarium trade, keeping the fish in an aquarium does not contribute to its survival as a species. Aquarist demand for this fish may contribute to its extinction, since juveniles must be taken from its breeding habitat and out of any pool of individuals that are likely to reproduce.