New Tank: Thoughts?

Guest luser

Okay, so a lovely person on Gumtree offered me this tank. I think it's a pretty good price, and my two comets (plus the single fry) need more space than their current 10-gallon.

The problem is this: I live around 50 miles away from that tank. However, my parents live about 10 miles away, so I asked them if they would pick it up and maybe drive it up here if I paid for the petrol. I'm currently a student in a shared flat and fish are about the only thing I'm allowed to keep. Myself and my partner rather like our fish, so we are keen on getting the tank.

My room is medium-sized, and I could certainly make space for this tank (although my parents weren't happy at that, they think it's too full... I say decluttering is the answer :)). My parents are already wary of the 10gal and protested at the size of the new one - pointing out that next year I'll have to move it about 10 miles and they were worried it would get damaged. They are also worried that a leak/spill could make the landlord very very angry (as his shop is below the flat), and that this is more likely to happen with a bigger tank.

However, they are leaving the decision for buying the tank up to me and my partner, and they will bring it up if asked (they just aren't too fond of the idea). I guess I just want people to reassure me that getting this tank is a good idea, especially in the long run. I feel so sorry for my goldies ATM as they are a little cramped and I just want to get them the best possible tank I can buy for the money. If anyone has any tips on transporting large glass tanks with stands (both before and after it gets set up) and on transporting goldies, it would be much appreciated. Ideas on how to quell my parents' fears of leakage/spillage would be great too.

Thanks,

luser

I think it's a really beautiful tank and too good a chance to pass up. Your fish will LOVE the space and grow and be really healthy in return which longterm is a whole lot easier and less stressful than the alternative (cramped fish get more diseases).

The thing I would worry about is transporting it. You need to make sure your parents wrap blankets round the tank in the car and drive real slow. The corners are especially fragile. The sealant and the glass of tanks is very sensitive to shock, vibration and pressure. If it gets weakened, the tank can leak ..slowly..weeks later.

I hope you can get it! It will look stunning in your room with fish in :)

• Supporter

well, if it were me i'd buy it.. it looks like a great sized tank and nice looking stand.. the extras are a bonus.. i think you will be very happy with it.. i know i would.

oh, and congratulations, i know you're going to buy it.. ;)

How I love you enablers ;). Okay, so... opinions on where to put it in my room.

Here, I'll draw you a nice little picture:

How my room is now (things outlined in red are things I can't really move):

148k6eh.jpg

How I'd arrange my room (get rid of IKEA shelving, remove printer table and instead put on top of bookcase (where goldies are just now)):

10qj9dx.jpg

Only problem is with this set-up, is that the space from my wardrobe to the doorframe isn't quite 4ft. I have a really wide doorframe, so would it be okay to have it overlap the doorframe a tiny bit? Otherwise I'd have to put them in front of the radiator, which I really don't want to do! Have people put their tanks in front of radiators and are they okay?

Does anyone again have any tips for the parents. Their two elderly fish (20yrs or so) are in a 30-45L tank and are about 6-8in long each. Poor things. I can't make them understand I NEED this bigger tank, they just think I'm being .... um... whatstheword... extravagant? They won't read stuff online either. Gah.

Edited by luser

Let me guess..you are studying architecture. Nice plan. Exactly where I would place the tank. In fact it seems to be the only place possible :unsure:

Goldies and glass wont do so well right next to a hot radiator I think.....:hummm

Wow oldgolds. 20 years is quite an innings :). Are they single tails? Comets? They really need that extra space, hope you can convince your parents this would be

the best thing for them in the name of kindness to living creatures or whatever will work for them to agree :idont

Studying psychology actually :P. All those conference posters mean I need to know Illustrator CS5 rather well :(.

Oh, I'm talking about my parents goldies. They will sadly be staying in that horrible tank at home unless I get another cheap tank for them. This tank is for my 1-year-old comets (and the single fry that survived their spawning). Parents' fish are a shubunkin and a comet I won at the fair. The ones I have are two feeders we got for cycling the tank... they survived and we loved them so much we really got into goldfish.

lol nice drawing! i think the area you are planning to put it seems great. that was the area i was about to suggest as well. the tank is beautiful, it doesnt have your usual looking tank look. and a 40 gal for the commets and fry seem great imho. you are also getting a heater which is great. i cant remember reading if you get a filter or a canaster, but either way, a filter for a 40 gal is really cheap. i use the tetra whisper EX70 which i would really suggest. its cheap, quiet, self priming, and you will be over filtering 30 gallons which is great for goldies imo. overall, i say great buy.. as for transportation.. NO CLUE ! :S sorry

hope you get it!