Opinions Please!

Basically, Red's in QT and I'm going away for the weekend. There's a cycle bump in his tank caused by the epsom. He's been in epsom for a week without it really seeming to make any difference. Do I put him back in the big tank while I'm away or leave him in QT? I'm leaning towards the big tank, the parameters in there are always zero whereas his QT seems to be stuck at 0.25 ammonia even with water changes, and it's risen to 0.5 pretty quickly before. I don't want to risk him dying of ammonia exposure while I'm away. Moving him into the big tank kinda negates the whole quarentine thing though. I don't believe he's contaigous, and as he won't be getting meds while I'm away I think the cleaner water will be better. What do you guys think?

What is wrong with red? (Sorry I am not up to date).. I would probably put him back in the clean water assuming its something that is not contagious like you said... I would not trust a tank with a cycle bump while I was gone that long. But again, depends on what is wrong with him..

What is wrong with red? (Sorry I am not up to date).. I would probably put him back in the clean water assuming its something that is not contagious like you said... I would not trust a tank with a cycle bump while I was gone that long. But again, depends on what is wrong with him..

Dropsy and probably some sort of internal infection, I think he got exposed to something with the stress of 2 house moves and very different water in each one. He's doing ok I think, been stable and relatively active the last 2 weeks, just swelled up like a balloon.

I put him in the main tank, unfortunately I posted this when there was like noone online and still had no responses when I'd left. Hopefully he's ok. My housemate will let me know if something happens but I didn't want to have to rely on him for water changes, I have to be particularly careful with pH at the moment.

YES i agree!!! Main tank!!!!!! Trust me when you can't control dropsy with meds etc, (and even when you can) the VERY VERY best thing is clean water. So I think leaving him in the QT tank with potential high ammonia would have been WAY worse than putting him back in the main tank..

I hope he gets better...... I am so sick of the "D" word!!

Well I came back to Red still swimming around and eating, but he is HUGE, some seriously massive bubbles popping out of him...off we go again <_<

Epsom can affect cycle bacteria in the same way that any change in water parameters can, they're actually way more sensitive than fish when it comes to sudden changes and that's why you see cycle crashes so often in QT tanks. I wrote a brief article on it but it's in the Mod forum atm and I'm waiting on approval to put it up in the D&D forums as a sticky as a lot of people seem to forget it and happily salt uncycled tanks and then wonder why problems pop up...

Have you tried anything that contains prazi in the food??

I know typically we use Metromeds to treat dropsy and I have had much success with it. But I have also had quite a few fish with recurring dropsy that responding best after being treated with a medicated food that included prazi. Such as Jungle Antibacteria food. Then just recently I purchased a bag of Medi-Worm from Goldfish Connection.. If you've never tried it I think I would give it a shot.. if you've already done the MetroMeds.... So if it were me.. MetroMeds first choice. If used them already, Mediworm. Then Jungle AB as last option. (Still a very good option. In fact.. If you have NOT ever treated with Metromeds I would suggest Jungle AB as the first choice because it has the metro AND prazi)

Keep that water clean, and make sure he's eating and hang in there. Fish CAN survive even the worst bubbly blistery dropsy.. it all depends on what is causing it and if you are treating it properly...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and red..