I've Got Trouble

kukana d

Ok guys-I'll try to be as clear as I can here.....Today,my big Oranda has acted kind of sluggish,and I did not test until this afternoonwall.gifwall.gifwall.gif Params then were 0-.25-7.2-?(didn't write it down!). I quickly emptied 50%,then started filling-to get Ni down. I had already done a 50% w/c this Wed-and added nitro green(something else)-I refilled w/ 2 r/o sources. Tonight started w/ 1 r/o,then grabbed the other off the pond and added that too. I also threw some Prime in to detox the NI. NOW,ammo is testing at .25. My big O is on the bottom-thought maybe put her in pond-BUT test p water 1st. AMMO IS 1 in the pond!!!!!!!!!!yikes.gifyikes.gifyikes.gif Tested both r/o sources-The 1 that puts out the smallest volume(50g/day)is testing ammo @ .25! You guys,I don't know what to do! I pulled more water out of big tank and am refilling w/ good r/o-BUT had the bad 1 on there for a while.yikes.gif What should I do-add Prime to Pond? Pull more out of big tank and refill w/ only the good-or should I just keep on my current refill(about 25-30% of tank vol left to fill)-even though it had the bad r/o going in for a little while? HELP!

No,I don't think so,Taylor-I've used it many ties before w/o incident. I think it's the 1 r/o system-which is actually,the 1 I had most faith in-of the 3 that I have. Both yesterday-filling the new pond,and today-I used 2 sources-that being 1. The pond filter was off for about 7-8 hrs while I switched the ponds out-don't know if I may have lost the cycle out there-but FOR SURE some of the questionable r/o went in there tookrazy.gif

The pond, in the pond photo section it looks like it is only maybe halfway filled. What if you filled it up some more to dilute the toxins and have more fresh water for the fish?

That's a good idea Fang-but I have to use r/o,and that is currently filling the main tank where the big o is down. It is 1/2 full-but the ammo out there is 1-so it would have to be a significant change. My fastest r/o only puts out 300g/day-we're talking slooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

No,it doesn't have to do w/ the ulcer-that's another,whole,long issuedoh11.gif It's getting kind of late to find another water source-the only thing I can think of would be to go to the all night store and get some distilled water. I am a basket case(tired) after yesterday's pond activities-then I couldn't get to sleep= lugging gallons of water up the steps sounds undecided.gif I just tested the tank ammo again-it seems to be improving-more between 0-.25. I SO was going to go to bed early tonight!!! Tomorrow I have to drive out to Palm Springs for the eveningkrazy.gif I guess I'll wait for the tank to refill,pull some water out of the pond,then let the r/o run while I'm asleep-but I'll have to get up and check on it b/c I live over several garages and it would NOT be cool to leak water down thereignore.gifoops.gif

I think you should be able to neutralize it with prime by using an extra dose and then by tomorrow I think you can do what you need to without having to go out and buy distilled water. Think that'd work?

As this is an emergency, what about grabbing some big containers and buying RO from a marine aquatics store? I don't know how expensive that would be...just a thought, I know your tanks/pond are big so it might not be a viable option.

Your city water at 1.0 ammonia will be safe for up to 48 hours after You bind the ammonia with prime or any other good water conditioner.

How is the nitrate level in Your city water ?

If nitrates in source is below 0.2 ,I would use it , and not use the RO water .

If Your filter is cycled ,it will take care of that ammonia .

If not cycled , Your going to have to do a lot of water changes, at minimum , as much as 50% every other day.

Your city water at 1.0 ammonia will be safe for up to 48 hours after You bind the ammonia with prime or any other good water conditioner.

If not cycled , Your going to have to do a lot of water changes, at minimum , as much as 50% every other day.

Would you not use the r/o b/c of time/volume constraints?

Ok,It's been a crazy day already-running around to lfs and H.Depotkrazy.gifI emptied more out of the big tank today and started refilling-again-about 40% new water. Malu seems(the big O)to be perking up a little after I just fed them-her foraging abilities are in tactyeah.gifAlso,when I tested the ammo this am it was 0-.25. t the lfs they had these-has anyone ever used them ?

I thought I't throw some of those in. I also got carbon b/c I remembered that when I grabbed a divider the other nit a bottle of this was leaning on it:

p-16290-38285D-dog.jpgb-larger-view-new-2.jpgb-email-page-new-2.jpg

Nature's Miracle stain and Odor remover

In nature, countless enzymes break down organic debris and waste to refresh the earth. In your home Nature's Miracle uses these same enzymes to transform household organic stains and odor causing materials into a liquid that you simply wipe away. Other exclusive Nature's Miracle ingredients speed up the work of enzymes, restoring freshness and luster to soiled areas.

Now you can remove the oldest most stubborn set-in stains and odors that other products failed to remove including pet urine odors from carpets, floors, furniture and other surfaces as easily as:

1. Simply apply Nature's Miracle over the stain or odor.
  2. Wait about a minute or two for Nature's Miracle to turn the stain and odor causing material into a liquid.
  3. Wipe it away with a cloth or paper towel. Stains gone! Odors gone!

Nature's Miracle is nontoxic, non-flammable, non-caustic, and non-acidic. Safe for use around children, pets, on colors, and on all water safe surfaces.

Directions: Shake well. Before using test surfaces to be treated for color fastness by applying to a hidden area, wipe with a cloth. If dye is removed from the test area, do not use on those surfaces. Always use full strength. Do not dilute. If possible first wipe up excess odor causing material, then thoroughly soak all leftover odor causing area. Saturate urine stains. Apply enough to reach urine penetration in the pad and floor. In carpets this may mean lifting carpet and applying directly to pad and floor. Because of poor air circulation, carpets and upholstery may take up to 2 weeks to dry completely, during which time you may still smell an odor. To treat large areas, use a garden sprinkler can. Allow everything to air dry completely before expecting complete odor elimination.

Ingredients: Water, nature's enzymes, isopropyl, alcohol, and natural citrus scent.

And as if thats not all enough fun-I forgot to put the tarp over the pond last nit,and it rained-the pond is under the roof-and paint chips fall in! All in all a very chaotic fish day! Whew!

Would you not use the r/o b/c of time/volume constraints?

Yes , but mostly because Reverse Osmosis strips minerals from the water , and You have to use additives to put them back in.

If Your source water has low Nitrates ,no reason to use RO.

The ammonia Your seeing is normal for treated city water ,Your water conditioner will bind it for 48 hours.

If Your filter is not cycled,You will have to do water changes every 48 hours .

Oh no Susan... :doh11:

I just wanted to say to be careful with the ammo things if you put them in the pond - it might throw off your cycle (sort of like Zeolite absorbs the ammo and starves the bacteria)

If, on the other hand, you fill the RO water in a tub before putting it in the pond (as if you didn't have enough work already) - then you could use those/or zeolite, to take the ammo out. :)

Thanks for stopping in guyswink.gif Garibaldi-I do remineralize-w/ Buff It Up from GFC.I have used only r/o for quite some time now-I am VERY uncomfortable w/ that level of ammonia out of my tapblink.gif

CFG,I did add the ammo pad,and a carbon pad(I picked several paint chips out of the pond,that had come through the roof w/ the rain). I had to get out of town today-so I did it as a stop-gap until I can do a full w/c in the am-I will remove the ammo pad-thanks for the heads-upwink.gif

Params are back to normal now-I had some major filter maintenance to do-they were pretty dirtydoh11.gif I feel terrible-I swear it seems like I just did that recently krazy.gif I am not on a regular schedule for that-and need to set 1 for myself.I've got 4 filters on that tank-and keep threatening to change 1/wk when I do my w/c. Hopefully,tomorrow will be a better daybingo.gif

I thought I would update this for anyone who may have been following along: It turns out there were 2 separate issues going on-1) I had used an enzyme booster which was causing a slight bump in my cycle-that's why I was having trace nitrites to begin w/. 2) Of my 2 ammo test bottles-1 was empty,which I replaced-and was using up the rest of the 2nd bottle b4 replacing it. Once I switched the 2nd bottle for a new 1 also,ammo was indeed 0. Of course,I had already done 3 huge w/cs b4 it occurred to me to do thisdoh11.gifBUT,the fishies have VERY clean water!!!jtmuch.giffish.giffish.gif