Should I Be Disappointed In My Favorite Lfs?

number20121

I went to Fintastic again today. The store I recently discovered that is so awesome and where I got little Vanille from.

Anyway, I went over to the goldfish again today and to my horror I noticed that about half of the goldfish had fin rot, in more or less advanced stages. Even in the tank where I got Vanille from all fish except one had fin rot. Even that apricot calico Ryukin with the sad face that I love so much, his tail looked not good.

I also noticed fin rot in some other tropical tanks. The girl at the checkout told me she just started working there (might be, never saw her before) and that she'd tell someone about that.

But you can't tell me they didn't see that yet. I haven't been there in two weeks since I got Vanille. And now I know for sure that she is definitely going to be in quarantine for at least a full month before I add her to the others, although she seems and looks so healthy compared to the other fish that were still there in that tank.

Now I feel like I actually RESCUED little Vanille from the LFS, seeing as how unhappy her former tank mates look. I don't care if she is not a Ryukin like she was sold for, I'm just happy she does not have to suffer the way they do right now.

Or is it normal that fin rot happens in a LFS like that? Should I even be disappointed?

Right now I sure am.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

It happens sometimes. Even in the best LFS you will sometimes see dead fish. Also it might happen when there's an employee change and they might not be doing their jobs. That happened to a fish store I went to. The employees would loaf around and do a craptastic job with the water changes and things went downhill.

However, if it's in multiple tanks, I would consider contacting the owner.

I might email them, just to make sure. It just bothered me to see the goldfish like that. Remember how I was going on about the cute apricot calico ryukin with the sad face? He is such a pretty fish, and he is sitting in there with the edges of his tail all eaten up, his dorsal constantly down. Some fish had bloody fins and one goldi in another tank had first signs of ick. Usually they put big stickers on the tank containing sick fish saying that these are currently not for sale, but there was nothing today.

I like the store a lot especially because they have so much cool stuff. Today I saw on their medicine a bunch of different plastic zylinders containing different medicine. Brand was Seachem. All sort of medicated food that is mentioned here a lot. The koi section has 4 different Hikari Koi food types and other goodies.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that the medium sized kois had light dropsy. Even I could tell that they are way too round and their scales were sticking out slightly. Still they were up for sale, for 39.99 each.

With this many fish it is unacceptable and I would send a warning e-mail to the manager indeed. That really is bad. And if you have a quarantine for that apricot.......No no I'm not enabling! But if you do....Demand that they give him to you for free. That's what I did with Romano, he was suffering from the same thing, and it was during Snowmageddon :rofl An e-mail is definitely in order. Let us know how it goes.

LOL girl I really don't have room. Like REALLY. I don't even have room for quarantine. I'm hoping for a larger tank soon but who knows. I can't say for sure now how soon. Dang, and that fish is so cute. ARGHALWIG! #@!&$^)%!

And I feel bad for all of the goldfish there. In that tank is a Black Moor, one of his eyes the pupil is almost white. The crazy matte calico ryukin/fantail has a really bad tail, so does Vanille's brother/sister. A fish that looks very much like her but with less red, definitely from the same batch.

Going to email now.

:yeah: Rubbermaid tub? :rofl Let me stop. In all actuality it's betetr to leave them there especially if you don't have the room. And if they're sick and you rescue them you're most likely going to run into more problems with them later.

Hopefully they'll e-mail you back too.

I just finished writing them. I was polite but serious. And I mentioned I'd be willing to take one of them in and brought up how I was charged full price for a ryukin that's a fantail. LOL CURSE YOU, TAY! Good thing is that - aside from the cycle crash after accidentally murdering my BB - my tank is in superb condition. And now since I added the Nutrafin Cycle, I gotta show you guys how clear the water is. The params are great. Now with only a handful of gravel (just the stuff I didn't get out yet) and river stones covering only half of the bottom, not much waste gets stuck on the bottom. As I told you before, my gravel vacuuming usually brings only a bit of waste out. Probably because I do it almost every other day. I put on my christmas wishlist either a big used tank or a big new filter in addition to my current ones.

But really, I hope they do some for the fish. I love this store so much and they have such nice fish, even the goldis. But seeing them like this today... Some of them had about 25% of their tail eaten away within the two weeks since I've last been there. Some had really bloody fins. You should have seen the angelfish. I don't know if theyr fins got messed up during transport but it sure looked like fin rot. Almost all of them had messed up fins.

The marine section is perfectly fine. I think they pay more attention to this section as it makes about half of the store, and the fish are more expensive. But the goldis and other freshwater fish...

Good on you Fang! I wonder how and if they will reply to your email! I would love to know how they respond to this!

I think in every lfs there are a always a few fish that dont look so good... but that does seem like alot of 'unoticed' sick fish to me :(

I asked them to reply and let me know how they will handle this.

And yes, really. As said, I was just there two weeks ago, and today I come in and I feel like I'm at Wally World! Oh darnn I forgot to mention to them that a lot of their life plants in the life plant tank are 75% rotten away. The amazon sword was completely brown with a lot of tiny holes.

Felt like a nightmare, really.

Right. This disappoints me even more. I'm only gonna go there for convenience reasons, as they have hikari prazi pro right there and I don't need to order it online and wait, same with saki hikari and a lot of other great supplies. But if the situation with the fish doesn't improve, then no more fish.

I just don't understand it. I wonder if there's some new people working that don't do their job, because when I first started going there I never saw sick fish for sale. There were only a few tanks with ick fish that had a big sticker on the tank saying that they were currently not for sale. I thought this was awesome because in the big chain stores they will smile and sell you an ick covered fish for the full price.

I got a reply!! Yay!

Alright, so basically the freshwater curator thanked me for pointing out the problems. He checked on the fish and found two of the larger ryukins (from Vanille's tank) having fin rot, and they were moved to a hospital tank for treatment.

Also that the koi that seemed to have dropsy were not koi but pond comets brought in by a customer who didn't want them anymore, and they were over fed and fat.

He was very nice about it and asked me to look for him the next time I'm there and introduce myself. Probably gonna take me to a back room and shoot me there :D

Thing is though that I noticed more than two fish with damaged fins. He didn't mention those, I wonder if mild damage can be caused during shipment, as most of the fish with damaged fins were new, especially the batch of small red cap orandas.

The fins looked kinda like this, but most of them less damaged than that http://exoticgoldfish.net/images/pic%20-%20fin%20rot.jpg

I did point this out to the guy, just to make sure.

He also told me about the ryukins - since I mentioned how Vanille doesn't look like a ryukin but fantail - that they were pond-quality-ryukins, not show-quality, which is the reason why they are being sold for only $ 19.99. But they were not fantails. He offered me to return her for a full refund if I am not happy with her.:noway

Can anyone confirm such a statement about POND quality ryukins?

He told me that he got three large show quality ryukins imported from China in now, which would be $ 100 each. I wish I could go check them out LOL Not that I'm gonna buy them, I just want to see them.

I was wondering how this story was going to turn out!

At least there are steps being taken for some. Perhaps you could be his undercover quality assurance officer? You could barter your skills for discounts on fish supply? bigsmile.gif

• Supporter

i came accross something similar with my ex LFS.. which is when i found snag!.. snapped him up and never went back. i told him i wouldn't either.. snag arrived on the day and he didn't even make it into their qt tanks.. as soon as he was unloaded, i grabbed him and ran! (after i paid ofcourse ;) )

I was wondering how this story was going to turn out!

At least there are steps being taken for some. Perhaps you could be his undercover quality assurance officer? You could barter your skills for discounts on fish supply? bigsmile.gif

Hahaha, now that would be great! :D

But really, anyone has an idea about pond quality ryukins and fin damage during shipping to the LFS?

Well Vanille isn't very old, for all you know she could well be a ryukin breed, it can take a while for their hump to develop and so on but from the diamond shape of her body I would say she defo has the potential to be one, just so ya know :D

Me neither. I wonder if he meant POOR instead of POND. Or maybe it's a term he made up because POOR quality sounds so mean :D

I understand where he is going with that though, because a ryukin that is kept in a pond will rarely be seen from the side and so does not have to have a huge hump.

He probably did mean poorer quality Ryukins but pond quality works just as well. You can't see their hump like in a tank so they're put in ponds like you said. The cheaper the fish is as a baby it's probably a C or B grade fish. Like if you go on the Goldfishconnection his babies are in the $30-$40 range because they have a good pedigree and are guaranteed to grow into show quality fish. With the cheaper ones it's a hit or miss.

yes, frayed fins can most definitely happen after shipping. It happened to Alfred. When the fish are stressed especially after being shipped, it gives the bacteria in the shipping water a chance to attack them. Or since they are weak from shipping and put in the new conditions the tank water bacteria can just attack them too.

Great news they finally replied! I think its great you made them aware of the situation and hopefully they will be more dilligent with their fish in the future... all thanks to you! :nana

I dont know about the fins in transit thing - but when I was at an lfs the other day, they had a tank full of large red ryukins - possibly about 15 of them, all nearly the same in colour. A couple in the tank had a huge hump, a few had a medium hump (kind of like my Moby) and there were some that looked more like fantails. They were obviously from the same "batch" - wherever they came from. So, Vanille could very well be a ryukin.

Its like other animal breeds that must have certain conformation and characteristics true to their type to be considered 'show quality' - if not, they are 'pet quality' - I guess "pond quality" is just a way of saying "pet quality", in the fish world...

Thanks again, everyone! Moby is such a wonderful, beautiful fish!

I'm glad to know that badly frayed fins can be caused by shipping, although I still don't think that they should look that bad. In this case blaming the supplier, not the LFS. Told the guy from the LFS that too, that they should talk to the supplier to make sure of the safety of their fish, after all healthy looking fish surely sell better than fish that make customers wonder about fin rot.