How Long Can You Float A Weak Fish For?

amynmitchell

My little funky Walley keeps getting wedged or wedging himself in dangerous places and I am headed out town today and for six days next week. Currently, he is floating in a plastic colander. He is eating well and seeming a bit more relaxed in there. Can he stay in there while I'm traveling? Is that too long? My husband will be watching everyone for me.

He is pretty small in the colander right? I agree, make sure there is enough filtration. Hubby can always let him go in a few days once he has regained his strength :)

He is pretty small in the colander right? I agree, make sure there is enough filtration. Hubby can always let him go in a few days once he has regained his strength :)

I tried to let him go tonight, but he got completely stuck in the filter again. I bought a bigger colander and he is now in that. If he isn't getting better, I am going to make an aquarium divider, give him a tiny space in the tank decor/filer free and he will have to live there. Until then with my travels I have to hope he will do okay in the colander.

• Supporter

i guess you can only cross your fingers and hope for the best here amy.. reading the other thread and this one, you really have done all that you can to keep him safe.. it will be up to him to keep going now.. well, until you get back.. and we're all hoping he'll be there to welcome you home :)

He seems to be swimming around a bit in his colander, so hopefully he will get stronger. The other fish nip at the bottom of the container to get at his food, but they can't quite reach it. I don't like how he doesn't seem to grow, so hopefully this will help him out.

He seems to be swimming around a bit in his colander, so hopefully he will get stronger. The other fish nip at the bottom of the container to get at his food, but they can't quite reach it. I don't like how he doesn't seem to grow, so hopefully this will help him out.

I have a 1 gallon plastic hospital tank that hangs inside your aquarium. It has holes for water circulation.

Your welcome to borrow it

That is a great idea. Did you drill holes in it or buy it somewhere? I would love to borrow it, but I'm not sure if I'd have time to pick it up before I head out of town early Thurs am. I'm downtown, LA...are you close by?

I think the colander is working for now, but if this is permanent I need to figure out something that looks better and gives him a bit more freedom. I thought about buying a large hanging hard plastic hospital tank and drilling holes in it, because I can't seem to find any with actual holes in them.

how about one of those refuge things they make for salt water tanks? I think some of those have magnets to attach to the side of the tank, which is handy. I am just not sure they have holes, you need might need to drill them in. The issue with drilling it that the holes might not be smooth... Unless you have an awesome drill.... hmmm...

I thought about that. I could probably file down the edges. I'm curious to see what Garibaldi uses. And where you get something like that from. I have gone to no less than six aquarium stores in the last two days looking for the perfect non-existant thing.

I thought about that. I could probably file down the edges. I'm curious to see what Garibaldi uses. And where you get something like that from. I have gone to no less than six aquarium stores in the last two days looking for the perfect non-existant thing.

Sorry I did not get back to You sooner . I got food poisoning yesterday.

I made the hospital tank from a plastic aquarium/bug cage purchased at P etsmar t. Wal mart has them too but they are smaller

I drilled holes in 3 sides and hang it by 2 heater suction cups.

Walley is officially out of his prison cell. He has out on weight from the metro meds and so far despite some strange swimming issues that he has always had he seems better. Knock wood...maybe my beautiful boy will be active and healthy.

:D I think he;ll be a very active and healthy boy in your care. It's great news he's put on weight. I definitely can understand the frustration of them either floating of dragging on the bottom :(