New Tank...

Mr.E

Hi everyone,

My 2 commons were fighting today and one of them injured his eye. So, I decided to put one in another.

That spare aquarium has been sitting in storage with no water for about 4 months and I wasn't sure how I should clean it.

More specifically, what should I use to clean it? Just water? or are there safe products I can use?

It's also time to do a water change for the bigger aquarium now (the one they are currently in) so I was thinking of putting the water I take out from the big one in the spare aquarium so that my cycle doesn't start from scratch.

Also, my water quality results are:

pH: 7.4-7.6

Nitrates: 0

Nitrites: 0

Ammonia: 0

Thanks in advance!

Welcome :) You can clean your tank with diluted vinegar or bleach, or some people just use extremely hot water, depending on how dirty it is. It's a good idea to move some of your water to the new tank, and some filter media to the new tank's filter, too.

I agree with BuggyBear good hot water with either vinegar/bleach solution does very well just be sure to rinse throughly and lots of de chlor after words :) :) also if your using gravel or artificial decor moving some of that over to the new tank should jump start your BB's :) I hope your injured fish feels better asap keep on top of the water in his tank to avoid infection :)

Thanks for the quick response!

I'll try one of those to clean it.

I also wanted to ask whether it would be a good idea to move some gravel over to the new aquarium as well. I don't want to cause a cycle bump in the old aquarium by taking away all the good bacteria of course. Would I be removing too much, if I do a water change and move some gravel?

Thanks so much for the replies!

I'll do all of those. I'll definitely keep an eye on the water quality in both tanks, but especially the one in which I have the injured guy.

Another quick question: I'm thinking of moving the non-injured goldie to the new aquarium with a net. I know how bad this can be for his slime coat, so what can I do about that? I generally use prime to de-chlor the water every time I do a water change, so should I add an extra amount this time? I also have stress coat. Is that any better for this purpose?

Finally, just to confirm: If I remove about 1/3 of the gravel in the current aquarium as I do the water change, I won't harm my cycle in the old one, right?

Sorry for the additional posts, but I keep coming up with more and more questions.

Now I am wondering if I should keep the newly set up aquarium running on its own for 24 hours before I put any fish in it...

I know it should be done for a completely new aquarium, but should I wait in this case, too?

If you're moving gravel, water and media, you shouldn't need to wait. Just keep a close eye on your levels, just in case there's a cycle bump in either tank. I don't use a net, I catch mine by hand, but I don't imagine adding a little stress coat would hurt :)

If you're moving gravel, water and media, you shouldn't need to wait. Just keep a close eye on your levels, just in case there's a cycle bump in either tank. I don't use a net, I catch mine by hand, but I don't imagine adding a little stress coat would hurt :)

Agreed. You only need a little bit of the media to jump start a new tank. As long as you have the water properly conditioned, your tank doesn't need to run before putting fish in. Water temperature is a different issue.

To jump start my tanks, I have used a few of rocks, a tiny piece from a filter bag and media balls or rings from my established tanks. They have all worked for me. HOWEVER, I do regular checks to monitor my water parameters so that I can see what is going on. The QT tank I set up on Wednesday already had low level nitrates on Thursday evening.

You can transfer the rocks from one aquarium to another and there shouldn't be a problem as long as you do not compromise the bio bugs with untreated water or leave them out of the aquarium long enough to kill the good bugs.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I set up the tank and moved one in it already. He seems sluggish at times, but he's doing alright I think. Maybe it's because of the change of environment, since all of his water is from the established tank. I'll update if he is sluggish later on.

@Grace: Yep, those are the results from the established tank. I have consistently been getting no nitrates.

E-

An established tank has nitrates. It makes me think something is wrong with your test kits or that your tank hasn't completely cycled.

If I missed it, apologies, but how long has the established tank been set up?

What type of test kits are you using?

How long have you been testing the water?

How old are the test kits?

I woud be afraid that you aren't really just seeding, but starting a new cycle.

Hi again,

@Grace: I set up the established tank about 4 months ago. I have been using API drops to test the water for 3.5 months. That was when I bought the test kit, so I guess that makes the kit 3.5 months old.

Note, though, that I had nitrates at about 5ppm until 2 weeks ago. Then nitrates went down to 0 right around the time I started using prime.

@koko: The larger tank I have is 20g. The goldies are about 2.5-3inches each. I realize it's still too small for them and I'm looking into upgrading. I'll do it as soon as possible. After one of them got hurt, I put the "chaser" in a 5g tank temporarily.

Your nitrates going from 5 to zero sounds like something is going on with your cycle. To me, this would be a red flag. There should be some level of nitrates.

The zero readings for ammonia and nitrites are also puzzling.

Keep an eye on your parameters, since you are relying on the old tank to seed your new.

I am in the minority because I do not use Prime.

Okay, since I have not had live plants for years, I wasn't thinking about that issue. Shellbell4ever addressed the zero nitrate issue related to having live plants. So, if you have live plants disregard.

Sure, I will keep an eye on the parameters in both tanks. Thanks for the advice!

I don't know what could gone wrong with my cycle... Can something go wrong on its own without me "disturbing" the system/cycle?

And also, I don't have live plants.