Injured Eye

npila1

My two commons were fighting and I just came back home and I think the eye of one of them is injured. :'( There is blood on it. What can I do? Will post photos after I post this.

I would do a water change and just make sure to keep the water extra clean until it heals. Some might say to add salt at a .1% concentration (1 teaspoon per gallon). You could do this, but I think it would be sufficient to just keep the water extra clean.

Photos will be good, we need to see how serious it is.

Oh no :( Can you separate the injured guy? Usually, salt and clean water are best for an injury, but wait to start anything till someone more experienced comes along.

edit: you guys posted while I was typing :) Sakura's experienced and the injury doesn't look too bad, but keep an eye on behavior.

Edited by BuggyBear

Here are the photos. The water quality parameters ate 7.4-7.6, 0, 0, 0. According to the prazi treatment I'm supposed to do a water change on Monday. Should I do it anyway? And I'll add the salt, too.

Oh no :( Can you separate the injured guy? Usually, salt and clean water are best for an injury, but wait to start anything till someone more experienced comes along.

Yes I put up the divider and I separated them :( He's not bottom sitting but he's not swimming around either. Is it better to keep it dark for him? Should I keep the lights off?

All of them have been yawning today, but the comet (Twinkle) was yawning the most (the injured one is Lucky)

Edited by npila1

Darkness will be less stressful for him and help him heal faster. You can keep the lights off and even drape a towel over his side of the tank.

Edited by Sakura

Are there any fake plants in there that maybe have pointy edges? Or any rocks they could have knocked themselves onto?

There are fake plants, yes, but they have been there for a long time. And I saw Sparkle harassing Lucky today before leaving for class and then one hour later when I came back Lucky was hurt, so I think it's less likely that he got injured on a plant, but yes it's possible.

I would do a water change and just make sure to keep the water extra clean until it heals. Some might say to add salt at a .1% concentration (1 teaspoon per gallon). You could do this, but I think it would be sufficient to just keep the water extra clean.

Photos will be good, we need to see how serious it is.

So I need to add a total of 17 teaspoons or so, but how gradually should I add this? 1/3 of this dosage every 12 hours?

Your tank is only 17 gallons? I think you are going to need more space than that with three comet goldfish in order to keep the water clean enough for healing. Is there any way you can get a larger tank or even a plastic tub so they have more room?

For the salt, you can add one teaspoon per gallon all at once. So if the tank is 17 gallons, you can add 17 teaspoons all at once. Be sure to dissolve it in a bucket of tank water first though. I strongly advise you get a larger tank. Each common/comet needs 20 gallons of space to itself, so the minimum tank size you should have is 60 gallons for those fish. Just FYI.

I have a 20 gallon tank, but it's not filled up all the way to the top, so I estimated that it's about 17 gallons. The parameters have been 0,0,0, for a while now, so I think the water quality is ok, but I'm setting up a small 5 gallon aquarium right now, and I'll put Sparkle in that one.

Do I continue the prazi treatment as scheduled (add prazi again on Monday after a partial water change)?

Thanks for the advice and the quick replies. I know the thank is too small and I really want to get a bigger one for them. I will do so as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help everyone. I set up the 5 gallon tank and put Sparkle in that one. Now Twinkle and Lucky are in the 20 gallon tank, in which I added salt to 0.1%. I'm keeping the lights really low. The water parameters look good and I will keep checking them every day. That should cure my baby's eye, right? :(

It will probably cure his eye fast, yes :) You can do additional water changes during prazi treatment. The prazi is only working during the first three days after adding it to the water. You say monday would be the next water change plus prazi, so Monday was when prazi was last added. Today is Friday, so it is no problem to do another water change.

I'm currently treating with prazi pro too, and I do 2 water changes each week. I add the prazi on Wednesday and do a water change on Saturday or Sunday, and on the next Wednesday another water change plus adding prazi.

Also as pointed out, a larger tank will do your fish good. Do you know the gender of the fish? Whenever they get mature enough there will be some problems in a tank this small. I used to have mine in 20 gallosn too, I was looking for something bigger. For a short while Orange Fishie started harrassing Blacky Fishie and tore her fins up. Never had anything like that since I got a large tank, and Hugo got SO big she would not have room in the 20 gallon tank. She is about 9 inches long, and Orange Fishie about 7 or 7.5

It will probably cure his eye fast, yes :) You can do additional water changes during prazi treatment. The prazi is only working during the first three days after adding it to the water. You say monday would be the next water change plus prazi, so Monday was when prazi was last added. Today is Friday, so it is no problem to do another water change.

I'm currently treating with prazi pro too, and I do 2 water changes each week. I add the prazi on Wednesday and do a water change on Saturday or Sunday, and on the next Wednesday another water change plus adding prazi.

Also as pointed out, a larger tank will do your fish good. Do you know the gender of the fish? Whenever they get mature enough there will be some problems in a tank this small. I used to have mine in 20 gallosn too, I was looking for something bigger. For a short while Orange Fishie started harrassing Blacky Fishie and tore her fins up. Never had anything like that since I got a large tank, and Hugo got SO big she would not have room in the 20 gallon tank. She is about 9 inches long, and Orange Fishie about 7 or 7.5

Thanks :] I really want him to get well soon. It breaks my heart to see them hurt. Thanks for the clarification about the water changes; it's good to know I can do it twice a week.

I think my comet is a female and the two commons are males. Wow, yours are huge :) Mine are still only about 2.5-3 inches each, but I do want a bigger tank for them.

Definitely, because my fish grew to that size within a bit more than one and a half years. And with two males and one female, there's trouble coming. Both will chase the female, and the two males might get into it with each other too.

Doing an additional water change will also make the whole treatment more effective. Active Prazi will kill only the flukes, but not the eggs. Those eggs sink down to the bottom of the tank, so an additional water change with thorough gravel vacuuming will get rid of many more eggs and prevent them from even hatching in your tank. Whatever still remains in the tank will hatch, and a few days later with the next water change and addition of prazi be killed. This way you reduce the flukes and eggs more and more and will break the cycle of hatching and infesting :)

Definitely, because my fish grew to that size within a bit more than one and a half years. And with two males and one female, there's trouble coming. Both will chase the female, and the two males might get into it with each other too.

Doing an additional water change will also make the whole treatment more effective. Active Prazi will kill only the flukes, but not the eggs. Those eggs sink down to the bottom of the tank, so an additional water change with thorough gravel vacuuming will get rid of many more eggs and prevent them from even hatching in your tank. Whatever still remains in the tank will hatch, and a few days later with the next water change and addition of prazi be killed. This way you reduce the flukes and eggs more and more and will break the cycle of hatching and infesting :)

Ok I'll do that :) I have to say I'm still really surprised that after this long treatment with prazi there are still flukes in there. I can't wait to get rid of them for good!

Tell me. I'm dealing with them for a month now myself and SHOULD be rid of them, yet I see some of my fish still yawn occasionally. I'll extend for two weeks I guess, and lowered the salt as I just read that salt might make prazi a bit less effective.

Tell me. I'm dealing with them for a month now myself and SHOULD be rid of them, yet I see some of my fish still yawn occasionally. I'll extend for two weeks I guess, and lowered the salt as I just read that salt might make prazi a bit less effective.

Yeah I knew that about the salt and for that reason I had only very little salt (about 1-2 tablespoons in the 20 gallon tank), but they still didn't die... So I'm a bit worried now that I added the salt to cure the eye injury because it might take even longer for prazi to kill them. But we'll see, hopefully they will all be healthy soon :)

Well, you might be able to get rid of them faster now with the additional weekly water change as you get more of the eggs out and so have less flukes hatch which means less flukes to lay eggs which means even less flukes to hatch and even less to lay eggs and so on.

Well, you might be able to get rid of them faster now with the additional weekly water change as you get more of the eggs out and so have less flukes hatch which means less flukes to lay eggs which means even less flukes to hatch and even less to lay eggs and so on.

Yeap, that should help!