Gulping At Surface?

Hi all I could use your help :) I have been noticing that my Mama Finns is gulping at the surface a lot!!!!she's swimming,eating and pooping fine,the water parameters are all good

ph-7.5

nitrite-0

ammonia-0

nitrates-0

api drop test

I have live plants :) I do 2 x 50-75% w/cs weekly last one done just wednesday at 75%,kisses is not doing this and is in the same tank and The Calico fantail is not doing this (came from same tank as Finns my daughters 30 gallon)

What else causes them to gulp at the surface??I added her to my tank after through acclimation on 10-22 Kisses was also from my daughters tank and he is not doing this either??

They were all prazied when i first got them last may I think...but then kisses and Finns went to my daughters for a few months,and then now back to me...confusing I know,should I prazie them all again??I'd have to order it as I don't have any here right now :(

I have all 3 of her fish (Kisses,Finns and Calico Fantail (no name yet) she didn't add any others except the baby fry that I gave her that didn't make it :( They are all with me now,I guess I'll order some more prazi then and do a few rounds per tank ;) Better safe than sorry :) But I still don't know what causes it?? or where they come from??does anything else cause gulping...I pre soak all my foods,and they get lots of veggies and fruit :) poops are food colored and short so no problems there, no floaty fish?just the annoying gulping :( and only with Mama Finns????

I don't know. I have a couple that gulp for no reason - it makes me CRAZY!

I would do a few rounds of prazi - maybe the move allowed for the flukes to multiply a bit. Then you can be sure it is just a bad habit...

okey dokey then, which method is preferred I have two options in my area,prazi pro liquid by hakari, or parasite clear tabs by jungle labs, the liquid is what I first used but its more expensive and kind of a pain as far as dosing I don't really remember the whole procedure ;)...the tabs are way easier to use have the same ingredients and are a bit less expensive...

OK Thanks :) Finns never did this when I had her before :( And Should I treat all 3 tanks sense all three fish have been in each tank???grrrrr ;) Can someone give me a run down on the dosing directions again please :) Thank you :)

Edited by shellbell4ever

You have 20 and 30gals right? You won't need much of the Prazi :)

I use 1 teaspoon in my 20gal QTs. (you can also redose on day 2 but it isn't necessary)

What I have been doing is dose monday (sometimes tuesday) - water change wednesday and sunday. thats about it, redo a few times.

I currently have 3) 20 gallons, two highs and one long and my w/c days are Wednesdays and Sundays so your prazi schedule should work for me just fine :) I ordered 3 bottles ;) so I should be good to go sometime next week :) Thanks again :)

Finns never did this when I had her before :(

Hey Shell, did your daughter feed her fish at the water's surface? Or perhaps did she feed them a floating food? I think if fish associate feeding time with the surface of the water they are more likely to gulp air up there. Just as an example, I hand-feed my fish gel food mostly at the surface of the water, so whenever they see me near the tank they go directly to the surface and gulp/beg for food.

I think it can sometimes become a habit and some fish gulp without even thinking about it.

Shell...agreed with Sakura with the surface feeding habit subject...mine will come to the surface always looking for food at the point of the tank where they're always fed. They only do this occasionally though...not often as they're just hoping that they can find something.

Second, I was wondering what type of aeration you have for proper surface agitation? I'm assuming that you do but just wanted to double check since your parameters are good.

Thanks for all the input guys :)

I do believe that she feed them at the surface :( and maybe it's just habit... but it's driving me crazy!!! and kisses and callie (from her tank as well) are not doing this??? Should I go ahead with the prazi pro?or wait and see? I thought in the beginning it was just a stress thing and she would stop in time :(

As far as aeration I keep my water level low for good water surface as well as have a huge bubble bar

check it out :)

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/shellbell4ever/Goldfish/?action=view&current=003.mp4

Hi all I could use your help :) I have been noticing that my Mama Finns is gulping at the surface a lot!!!!she's swimming,eating and pooping fine,the water parameters are all good

ph-7.5

nitrite-0

ammonia-0

nitrates-0

api drop test

I have live plants :) I do 2 x 50-75% w/cs weekly last one done just wednesday at 75%,kisses is not doing this and is in the same tank and The Calico fantail is not doing this (came from same tank as Finns my daughters 30 gallon)

What else causes them to gulp at the surface??I added her to my tank after through acclimation on 10-22 Kisses was also from my daughters tank and he is not doing this either??

You have no readings at all?

Have you tested before with the same results?

• Supporter

habits can be broken, particularly if you had her for so long and i believe your daugter only had her for a few months? just trying to remember the last thread you had on them.

i think it's the habit of surface feeding too.. i think that if you fed sinking pellets or gel food that sinks she will soon learn not to expect food at the top..

also, did your daughter have sufficient filter and airation in her tank? if not, this could be a result also.. from constant gulping of air at the surface to satisfy.. just a thought..

As far as aeration I keep my water level low for good water surface as well as have a huge bubble bar

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/shellbell4ever/Goldfish/?action=view&current=003.mp4

Gotcha Shell...I thought you aerated your tank well and I was correct! ;)

• Supporter

i wasn't questioning what airation shell has set up.. i was questioning her daughter's set up.. as mumma finns came back to her with that problem and we're trying to figure out why..

ph-7.5

nitrite-0

ammonia-0

nitrates-0

api drop test

You have no readings at all?

Have you tested before with the same results?

I have not been getting any reading of nitrates since I have been having my live plants for a few months now :) I have the same results from the two twin tanks and the 20 gallon long as well :)

http://s15.photobuck...current=003.mp4

i wasn't questioning what airation shell has set up.. i was questioning her daughter's set up.. as mumma finns came back to her with that problem and we're trying to figure out why..

My Daughters set up was my old 30 gallon, so good on filtration and aeration as well,but she did confirm she did only feed at the surface :( and that Finns was always the first little piggy to eat :) so now I'm thinking this is a habit thing...should I still do a round of Prazi for all fish or not???