Weird Tail Shape - Normal?

number20121

Unfortunately I have no pictures but the other day at Pet$mart I saw this cute calico fantail, still a tiny fish.

He had a beautiful big double tail, except that it wasn't two tails. First of all the tail from above looked very close to a butterfly tail, but in the middle/top where the two tails are separated, they were connected. Does this explanation make any sense?

Kind of like this http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/panda_butterfly_w360.jpg but connected in the middle. Looking at him from behind the two parts of the tail looked triangle shaped.

Is this a "normal" tail shape or a "handicap"?

Unfortunately I have no pictures but the other day at Pet$mart I saw this cute calico fantail, still a tiny fish.

He had a beautiful big double tail, except that it wasn't two tails. First of all the tail from above looked very close to a butterfly tail, but in the middle/top where the two tails are separated, they were connected. Does this explanation make any sense?

Kind of like this http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/panda_butterfly_w360.jpg but connected in the middle. Looking at him from behind the two parts of the tail looked triangle shaped.

Is this a "normal" tail shape or a "handicap"?

I think it's just a genetic imperfection to be honest, probably why he is in a pet store and his breeder didn't keep him. Pumpkin has a tail that looks like a W too, nothing;s wrong with her its just how she came out of the egg!

Yep it's a genetic imperfection. It's referred to as "connected caudals". I actually just bought a fish from auction (Maho) that has that flaw. It doesn't bother me with this particular fish because it's a gorgeous fish, but the fish wouldn't do well in a show since the standards for butterfly telescopes require a split caudal.

But the tosakin goldfish breed standards require the fish to have connected caudals.

My Jimmy's tail is actually exactly like in your picture except longer. I like it hehe, seems like he has a dress on while swimming :)

Edited by GFF

• 2 months later...

Aww I have a Calico Fantail with a 3 pronged un-split tail and its lob-sided and shorter than normal.

It is a Genetic thing.

One side hangs down but the other side is always held up at a 90 degree angle to his body and when he swims he has to wiggle his body a lot more than normal....

I got him as a little tiny baby so didnt notice it then but to me its apart of him being him and his little character now. :)

• 5 months later...

If the tail is connected all the way to the tip and both sides connect evenly it is a Triple-lobe Tail. If the tail is connected almost to the very end but don't end flush it's a Twintail. If they only connect about half way it is a Four-lobed Tail. There are good drawings on page 371 of Kingyo: The Artistry of Japanese Goldfish. Great book. It's 90% art, a story, and little information. It isn't a defect. These tails are breed into many of the types of goldfish.

Edited by Goldfish Chris

• 2 months later...

In addition, when you breed double tailed fish, you wind up with a lot of culls. Everything from single tails to connected caudals, and lots of bent and curly fins.

Most go to the pet trade. The few very best, perfect specimens would be saved for rebreeding.

I've had a few fry with triple tails. 3 complete tails that looked awesome, but made it hard for them to swim. I also had a few with what I called sail fins, huge dorsal fins that streamed out behind. Almost impossible for them to hold erect.

When breeding, it's fun if you have the space, to raise some of these culls to see how they turn out.

I once bred 2 black orandas, and out of the few fry I raised, one was a black pearlscale lionhead. So you never know what they might have in their ancestry, unless bought from a reputeable breeder, at some expense.