A Few Questions Concerning My New Telescope..

enesta

A few things I'm noticing... Penelope is getting worse with the budding against Slate, shes keeps pushing him away especially from the area where I feed and he's a lot smaller. She also 'sleeps' at night floating vertically facing down in the middle of the tank. During the day I'm noticing a lot of top breathing, which can't be related to aeration... I have plenty plus Slate isn't showing any signs.

I purchased some PraziPro I plan on starting today - but it says remove activated carbon. For the Tetra Whisper filters, is that inside the biobag? Is it okay to have a filter with no pad in there?

Try to cut the filter bag open and get as much carbon out as possible. I have a whisper filter but never used the pads, I stuffed the filter with plain foam padding. You should add some too! I got the stuff they sell as padding filter material for undergravel filters. Cut it up and stuff the filter.

I would not remove the whole bag if possible since the beneficial bacteria are living on it!

They could be high, I'm probably about at that point in my cycle... 1 month and 1.5 weeks. Still no test kit, though. I took the carbon out as much as I could and put the PraziPro in. I'll try that next time Fang, probably cheaper too. I'll see if I can go test my water soon at the LFS.

Also check for nitrites. They may be bumping at around that 6 week point and different fish have different tolerance levels.

If your fish are both new and your onlies and came at the same time and not flashing I would hold off the prazi treatment personally until you are really sure you have a good stable

established cycle.

Working on it still.. Penelope keeps budding against Slate, today she chased him around for an entire minute. I don't know what she wants from him.

Is a 29 gallon tank with 290 GPH too small for a third goldfish? I was thinking it may help even things out in the group. It'd also be nice to have an Oranda.

I have no clue about their sexes, I just gave them names. I don't see either of those things...

S/he doesn't seem to be hurting Slate, just budding against and annoying him a lot. Especially likes to come up from behind or under him.

• Supporter

oooh.. sounds like it could just be a little hanky panky happening here.. how old are they? there could be a number of factors here.. nitrates and or other water param problems and the possibility that she may have eggs? when did you say you can get the water tested?

The LFS is pretty far, so it's tough to make the trip unless I'm going that way for something. Hopefully early next week. I'm not sure how old either are - I got the Black Moor when it was very small about 1.5 months ago. Penelope is about twice its size and I just got her a week ago.

• Supporter

Just took some video, capturing now, one moment.

okay.. it's 4am here now and i'm going to bed.. other members will be able to see the video and help you out some more.. i'll tune in later today and give my thoughts on the video if needed..

It does look like breeding behavior to me. The males chase and nudge the females in the vent area. Does it go on constantly throughout the day, or just sometimes? If it goes on for too long, you might want to add some more hiding places for the black moor or put in some kind of divider.

I don't have a ton of experience with this, so I'm not sure...

But I do know you can buy a plastic colander (like used for cooking) and float that in the tank with the black moor in it. This way he can still be in the tank but he will have a break from the orange telescope. You can keep him in there for an hour or so at a time just to give him a rest. Maybe that will help.

Yeah looks like breeding behaviour to me too! Sometimes they do it if they don't have enough space or the water quality is bad too, it's like they're irritable. I wouldn't worry too much about that thought since your tank is plenty big enough :) I think it will probably die down, mine don't do it very often. If you want you can get a separator, or make lots of hiding places.

• Supporter

aaawwww.. it's cute.. they look like they're not terribly fussed by it either.. the male is not agressive like some can be.. if you feel as though the moor needs a break from it, then yes, use a divider or a container as sakura suggested.. but i say they're fine for now.. :)