Fancy Goldfish Not Growing?

edong86

Okay guys, I've had my Orange Oranda, Ryukin, Pearscale, Fantail, 2 Lionheads for about 3 months along with 2 Ranchu, 1 Calico Oranda, 1 Butterfly Telescope for about 1.5 months. Their sizes are all ranging from 2-2.5 inches.

I feed them twice a day (after breakfast & after dinner) with a mixture of Tetrafin Growth, Tetrafin Exotic, and Hikari Lionhead. All pellets. I make sure that everyone gets to eat and each fish gets at least 3-8 pellets per feeding time. I feed them lettuce and peas once a week as well. Water change regularly, water is very clear in a 75 gallon tank. They all seem very happy and active.

I didn't really expect much growth from my guys since it's only been 3 months but I've recently been bothered when my friend showed me his 2 ranchus, whom we bought at the same time as my 2 ranchus, same batch, same store 1.5 months ago. There's 4 of them in a 30 gallon tank and they've grown considerably. In fact, almost DOUBLE in size.

Meanwhile, my fishes, even the ones who have been around for 3 months, have barely grown. What's wrong? I know I'm slightly overstocked, but at their size, the tank really seems sufficient for them. Here is a picture:

outerview.jpg

Edited by GFF

Being overstocked even when it seems like there is plenty of room will truly affect growth. Put the same fish in their own twenty gallon and each will probably grow quite a bit. Some of it is genetics, but water quality makes a big difference. If you double or triple your water changes you might start noticing more growth.

• Supporter

i'm with amy on this.. also, gel food.. ever since i started feeding gel food, my small fish have been growing like weeds and i only feed once per day.. i am also a tad overstocked too, i do 2 - 3 50% water changes per week and that too makes a difference..

I think food is key if you've got the water changes covered, I had 2 fish in a 40 gallon, a biggish calico oranda and a tiny chocolate, and the tiny fish only started growing dramatically when I started them on a high protein gelfood, then the difference was noticeable within a few days believe it or not!

If I'm not mistaken, the gel food is home made right? Can anybody give me some tips on how to go about this? I really want my guys to grow.

Well my smallest fish has taken a year to double in size so I wouldn't worry about it, she's still titchy :) She's a chain-store fish so probably didn't have the best start in life or the best genetics. She's grown but nowhere near as much as some. My bigger fish has just grown her tail out in 9 months as far as I can tell.

I would start doing more water change since your over stocked and see about more tanks or a bigget tank. When mine were smaller I would three times sometimes four a day. It would look like no one was growing then all the sudden out of no where is seemed one would grow.

Good luck

I'm at twice a week water change and honestly don't think I can do better since I'm also very busy with my business. I'm trying to feed them more of the Hikari Lionhead rather than the Tetrafin Gold, which used to be the bulk of the meals. Just to see which is more effective.

You're right Koko, I think I might be checking on them too often that I don't notice the growth if there is. I love my little guys too much that I just have to see them right away when i wake up!

I agree that they are probably growing faster than you think; try to get photos of them near the same decor a month apart and you'll probably be surprised. I think it's harder to notice when tiny fish get a wee bit bigger in a huge tank :) That being said, I am a big advocate of under stocking and the results can be amazing :) My 2 little black teles from WM that were almost dead in their filthy tank only a month and a week ago have more than doubled in body size and are growing some pretty amazing fins; they are in a 40 gal with 420 gph filtration and were fed 3-4 times a day with water changes every other day for the first few weeks. My 2 feeders have also had a major growth spurt since movin' on up to the 72 gal :)

How about at least bigger water changes when you do them. I would remove all but just enough for them to breath. Also I would try to rehome or take back some so that you are no longer over stocked.

Good luck

I'm at 50% water change twice a week but if a bigger water change will help, then I'll start this week. Thanks Hidr!

I've actually been trying to convince this girl that I just started dating to take 2 of my fishes and that I would help her set up a tank. She said she's interested but has been hesitant because she says I'm probably going to give her my rejects haha. Besides the common-looking lionhead, I can't decide who else I'll give up. I like them all! :(

I was planning on teaching her, (another excuse to spend more time with her) but anyway one of my guy buddies adopted my common-looking lionhead to go with his 2 other lionheads in a 30 gallon so I guess that's that.

I was about to give him my tiny pearlscale as well but just couldn't part with the little guy.

That is a great idea to let her have the fish. But make sure she really wants them and wants to take care of them / knows how to. Don't want to be ruining anything, but you never know how relationships go.

If you guys split up and she doesn't really care for the fish they might end up having a bad future, you know?

Other than that it is a wonderful idea!

Don't worry guys, I think she's decided to go for a teacup pig. So yeah, scrap the idea of having her adopt my fish. My new strategy for now will be 80% water change twice a week.

Texana, good idea! I talked to this guy whom I got my latest ranchu from (I gave up my lionhead so they're still at 10) and he told me to scrap the Tetrafin Gold and start introducing Hikari Lionhead as their main diet. Thoughts?