Fish In New 6Ft Tank!

Migaloo

Finally got the 6ft tank home! Yay!

We put the cabinet together and set it up - what a mission that was! Then just let it run.

Today the fish moved in!

I moved all the water from the 66gal - which is close to a 3rd of the new tank's capacity. We moved the old filter into the new tank to help the new filter cycle and will leave it there for a while - i wanted to simulate doing a major water change. Will keep a close eye on the water parameters in the mean time.

The tank is still a work in progress - the water is a little cloudy, I need a little more gravel, the plants have just been thrown in and not arranged properly, need a background, the far right bubble wand isnt working too well, need to tidy all the electrical cables... and the list goes on :rolleyes:

Some little ones in transit! Just when Panda's bad tail split had almost healed up, he has another on the other side!

29102010354.jpg

The two moors in the tank - I put them in alone first up, as I thought it would be funny seeing two little fish in a huge tank!... An it was cute - but I can only see one in the photo.

29102010347.jpg

Moby checking the temperature

29102010378.jpg

Little baby bristlenose... "ahhh.... found my driftwood!"

29102010376.jpg

Google II

29102010375.jpg

Migaloo

29102010363.jpg

29102010359.jpg

29102010371.jpg

The silver box on top is my old filter, full of cycled media :)

29102010361.jpg

And a full tank shot of the incomplete tank

29102010355.jpg

29102010358.jpg

All the fish seem happy and normal... enjoying all the space. Except one of my black moors (Google I), which Im really worried about. He got the same aclimatisation process as all the others, but he's the only one that seems stressed. He is just hanging around the top corner, not at all floaty, but just hanging around up there, sort of swimming on the spot and not exploring like all the other fish are. He's been doing this for hours now. Am quite concerned as he has always been a very healty fish and wasn't like this until about 20 minutes after being in the new tank. :(

Edited by Migaloo

I am still sooooo jealous of the stand. It looks great, love the gravel and the plants look good even though you "threw" them in there :)

What kind of filter is that? I need suggestions :)

Maybe it will just take time for Google I to get used to the new tank, perhaps he is overwhelmed?

Wow beautiful tank. Wait till it all clears up. It'll be the bomb. How many gallons is this? Sorry, too lazy to do the math hehe.

Maybe Google I just needs some time to get used to the new tank. Just keep a close eye on him! :)

Anyway, the tank is amazing! You said triple the size of the 66 gallons? So it's a 180 gallon tank or more? I love how it looks and I love the stand too! This is exactly the kind of tank I would love to get eventually. Especially my single tails would be so excited!

Whoo Hoo!!!I am so excited for you!!!Love the new tank setup :) It looks fantastic!!! You fish must think they have gone to heaven :) Hope little google 1 adjust soon I hate worrying about these little guys :( Congrats again on the new Tank!!!

Thanks everyone for you lovely comments :thanks

It is a very exciting time for me :) I am much happier with the tank today. Water has cleared up dramatically since yesterday - its close to crystal clear now! Its so cool because I look in one end of it.... and then there is something else going on right up the other end - its feels like there is so much to look at LOL. ITS HUGE!!!!!

I cant wait until its all set up just how I want it.

I am also very pleased to say that after a full day of hiding in the top corner, Google I is back to normal and exploring all areas of his new home. You guys were right - I guess he was just a bit overwhelmed and frightened... poor little guy must have felt like he got moved into a big scary ocean! :rofl

Aw, you have a panda tele? He is so cute!

Yeah he is a little cutie! - his/her name is Panda LOL - I dont put alot of thought into my fish names ... if I ever get another one it will probably be called Panda II - same as my Googles (Google I & Google II)! :rofl

love the gravel and the plants look good even though you "threw" them in there :)

What kind of filter is that? I need suggestions :)

Well the old filter (silver box on top) is not really a particular type of filter as such. Its just one that came built in to the hood of my old tank. It has a spray bar running accross the top of the media trays. The power head and intake of this filter are what you can see about a third of the way along inside the tank - so this will be gone once I remove it (obviously LOL). Also, there is another light unit with 4 tubes that are still to go in the tank. I had to leave them out temporarily to make room for the old filter.

The new tank has a large canister filter in the cabinet with 4 large media trays and uv sterilizer. Eventually I will have to get a second filter for it, but for the amount of fish I have at the moment and their relatively small size, it will do the job for now.

The gravel is supposed to be 20kg of fine 1mm gravel mixed with 5kg of larger 3mm gravel, but I only have 10kg of the fine gravel in there at the moment - still have another 10kg to clean! There are bare patches on the bottom of the tank. And yep - Oh and thanks, but yes - I literally pulled the plants out of the old tank and threw them straight into the new one in groups. Half of them are leaning to one side LOL. I would really like to get a couple of nice ornaments in there too.

How many gallons is this? Sorry, too lazy to do the math hehe.

Fang was close... I have stated in other posts that its 160 gal, but its actually about 170gal - give or take :)

Thanks again everyone - will update in the tank photos topic once I have it more "together" :)

I know others here are setting up big tanks too in the coming weeks - cant wait to see those! I feel your excitement!!

Fang was close... I have stated in other posts that its 160 gal, but its actually about 170gal - give or take :)

Its 174! lol Your tank and my tank have the same dimensions. You said yours was a 160 and the guy I bought mine from said it was a 180 so I was curious and had to find out the exact gallonage :P

I'm a big fan of huge tanks, especially when they're getting all planted and graveled and decorated. That thing is fantastic!!! Can't wait to see it as it developes!! That would be the ultimate single tail race track...erh, I mean tank.

The tank is almost complete now and looking fabulous I might add!! :rolleyes: All I have to do now is remove my old filter and add the other light unit so I can have the full lighting effect. I plan to do this at the end of this week. So hopefully I will have BB in the new filter by then - I guess I will just have to monitor the water very closely to make sure its all running well :) Oh and I added my male Bristlenose to the tank the other day - him and the female have already spawned in there!

How tall it the tank including stand? I don't like it when tanks are too high up so you have to get a chair to stand on it to feed the fish. But yours doesn't look so high up.

Nah - not too high. Im about 5'7" and it comes up to the top of my shoulders. The table in front of the tank is my coffee table so gives you some idea - but I do have to stand on a chair if I need to reach the tank floor :)

Its 174! lol Your tank and my tank have the same dimensions. You said yours was a 160 and the guy I bought mine from said it was a 180 so I was curious and had to find out the exact gallonage :P

:rofl Oh... I remember that now from the post you made about your tank! Although when I put the dimensions into an online calulator, I got 171.2 gal... haha close enough! When are you going to set yours up?

Oh yeah, and if you ever want to donate this setup to a poor soul .... I'm right here! :D

That's very nice of you to offer Fang - will keep that in mind ;):P

What an amazing tank!! Looks great so far, what else do you plan on adding?

Hmmm.... I would really like a celestial eye, a ranchu and a really nice short tailed Calico Ryukin (since I already have a long tailed one). I am trying to source some nice quality fish - but they seem hard to find here :(

Really, I gotta say it again. This gotta be one of the most awesome looking tanks/setups I have ever seen. I even showed my hubby and he likes it too. This is exactly the kind of tank I want to get for myself. Well, not myself but my fishies, of course.

Even the single tails would have no problem in there, with around 170 gallons of water. This is so much room! Some smaller patio ponds got only like 130 gallons.

I hope you'll feel like donating soon LOL!