Can I Have Llights On 2 Times/day? 4 Times A Day?

pathimself

I was told that because goldfish can't see in the dark, it is important that they have light when they are fed so that the food doesn't rot.

Also, I was also told that feeding them more often is good.

If I turn the lights on 4 times a day, with their food dispensed shortly thereafter each time, is that good or does it mess up their fishy body clocks because nowhere in the wild are there 4 dawns per day?

Separate question- I was told that they should have 8 hours of light per day. If it would not disturb them I would like them lighted as I am getting ready to leave in the morning and then again lighted while I am home in the evening. Any problem?

The room they are in has good indirect light, should this count as part of their 8 hours?

I don't understand...you only leave on the lights when they are eating?

I keep mine on from morning till night (around 12 hours), it doesn't disturb them and is good for the plants in their tank. If you have an algae problem, then turning off the light would be a better idea but it doesn't hurt the fish either way.

I don't understand...you only leave on the lights when they are eating?

No, I was thinking of having the lights on in the daytime, e.g. from 7am to 8am, and 5pm to 11Pm. I would give them 2 feedings during that time

Additionally, I could have the timer turn on the lights briefly during the night when food would also be dispensed two more times.

I rely on natural light most of the day as my tank is by the window. I turn on my aquarium lamp around 4:00 PM as it gets dark then turn it off by around 10-10:30 PM to give them time to sleep. That's just me though, no real scientific basis for my lighting schedule.

More important thatn the lighting I am thinking that there is no need to be feeding the fish 4 times a day.. (unless they are fry/).. Once a day is plenty, Two at most.. Unless they are babies and they need the food more frequently to grow. And if you are using an automatic feeder for some of the feedings I would reconsider.. They can be really unreliable and often dispense way too much food..

As for lighting, I've always gotten an algae problem from too much light so I think it all depends on your set up and your tank.. I know people who can have the lights on all day, but for me if I do that, it is more work cleaning the algae then it's worth. So I actually do something similar to what you were saying. I turn the lights on about 30 min before feeding. Let them eat and turn them back off after about 2 hours. I rely on natural light during the rest of the day. Sometimes I simply use the main light in the room if I feel like I've been using the light too much.. Also it will depend on the type of bulb...

And I agree that having dark sleep time is good for them! So if it were me I would cut back to 2 feedings and just leave lights off at night.

I always put mine on when I'm pottering around the house in the morning before uni, about 0630-0830 most days, and on again when i get home around 1630-2230 but if I'm in all day then the lights will be on all day. The fish don't seem to mind whichever, I don't have a regular schedule for them, as long as food appears and they get sleep time they seem happy :)

I only feed my Goldfish 2 x a day :)

As far as lighting goes here's what I do...I turn my tank lights on from 8am -12pm, then on again from 4pm till 10-11 depending on how late I am up,otherwise I have a lot of algae :0 It really depends on how your tanks set up and where it's located too,like my baby tank in the kitchen I do the same lighting schedule but have high light plants so even when the lights off I'm still getting some lighting from a nearby window :) but my other two tanks are farther away from any window but i have low light plants in those tanks :)

Mine don't seem to have damaged themselves on anything. Goldfish can get around even with missing or covered eyes, they have a very strong sense of smell and also have sensors on the front of their face so they can 'feel' surfaces, which is why you never see them swimming into tank walls unless stressed or sick. I never give mine a night light :)

I have my lights set on a timer, they are on for 8 hours a day. Before they come on there is a period where the tank gets some indirect sunlight.

As for them managing while it's pitch black. I have noticed during the early mornings hours mine either are sleeping or do actually see me and come looking for food. They seem to manage quite well in the dark.