Arg Floatiness........

new 85Gal

temp 24C

pH 8.4

ammo:0

nitrite:0

nitrate:0

So my white oranda, Einstein has been having more and more floaty issues. MOSTLY after meals, but now he seems to 'float up' whenever he rests. :(

He can swim very well around the tank most of the time - he is a fast swimmer (slim body, strong tail). But, when he is floaty his butt will sort of 'pull' him towards the top. It has started to be that he not only floats (rightway up), but sometimes he is turned a bit more on one side - like he is about to flip over :( He can still ALWAYS go down and swim as soon as I walk up to the tank, he isn't stuck up there (thank god)

So, he is banned from commercial foods - those are TERRIBLE for him, even soaked. Peas are also bad. Gel can also be bad. I am out of ideas. And I feel so sorry for him. I am so afraid this will evolve to have him floating upside down in my tank :( Also, does anyone have any ideas how I can keep him on a special diet in a tank with other fish? Put him in a bowl everytime I feed? The commercial foods seem to be very important for my growing fish,

So, what other food changes could I do? Do you guys think I should do him a 'shallow water therapy' now in order to 'prevent' the flip over later? Does it work as prevention?

I really don't understand how this can be happening, he is much longer than fat as an oranda.

this is him:

DSCN3268.jpg

any other ideas welcome.

yea I think so too. I have to find a way to feed the others Hikari tho, they are doing so good in it.

THe frozen foods seem to make him float less tho. Maybe it is also a problem of quantity? I should limit it? I should get him a feeding container - how stressful will it be for him tho?

Strange. What are the ingredients of your gel foods? What brand of gelatin do you use? Use one that is not high in sugar. Knox so far is best in my experience even though it's a tad expensive.

Lupin is right I was just about to ask about the gelatin. I've also noticed that if I use too much gelatin in the gel food Coquin my blackmoor will float and sometimes flip over. I have to keep the gel food a little softer than I would like but it is the only way.

I use a gelatin you need to add to warm food. don't know the brand but it is good quality one.

Maybe you can try this Asian brand called " Agar Agar powder"...it's seaweed based, I use this all the time. 4 more info, just Google the same name.:goldfish:

Agar does not digest and has no nutritional value . It is basically a thickening agent . Same stuff used in the lab in petri dishes to support bacterial cultures .

Better off to use unflavored knox gelatin , at least it is digestible and contains protein

It is possible that he is just allergic to certain stuff. Try things out one at a time tuna, spinach, brocoli,...

When making gell food go for the pure gelatin, it might help.

One small change can help. Does your tank have algae? Keep a part of the back or a side wall not sparkly clean but let green algae cover it. It is a healthy snack and keeps their intestines 'moving' And it keeps their mouths occupied if you ever want to keep plants ;)

My fish had floaty problems often. Making gell food and regularly a fast day helped also. Start with fresh food, nothing tinned, nor salted or anything.

Edited by Quasi

I have a floaty Oranda that seems to float less after I feed frozen blood worms.

I have also read somewhere that a very small amount of very fine sand on the bottom of the tank will help floaty fish.

The way it was described , is that as the fish forage through the sand for food , they swallow a little bit of it . Some of it passes out the gills and any that goes through their digestive tract helps clean out their gut.

What are the ingredients of your gel foods?

It varies. Usually I have 80% veggies (broccoli, zucchini, carrot, peas (which I will stop putting), red bell pepper) and one source of protein (sweet water shrimps, tuna, sardines)

What brand of gelatin do you use?

Well, since I am in Europe I don't get the same brands here. I use Dr.Oetker, which is for baking and it says 100% human consumption gelatin.

Maybe you can try this Asian brand called " Agar Agar powder"...it's seaweed based, I use this all the time. 4 more info, just Google the same name.

I actually just saw this on the news. Many organic people seem to use it. Is it good for fish? It doesn't really matter if it isn't nutritious, as I add the protein etc in the ingredients. Is it easy on their tummy?

. I've also noticed that if I use too much gelatin in the gel food Coquin my blackmoor will float and sometimes flip over. I have to keep the gel food a little softer than I would like but it is the only way.

Thats a good point edith! I usually make it quite hard as to avoid it floating and/or messing up the tank too much. I will try adding one leaf or 2 less.

It is possible that he is just allergic to certain stuff. Try things out one at a time tuna, spinach, brocoli,...

I was thinking of trying that. One or 2 weeks with just each ingredient pure (today they are having spinach) - boiled and fed. Then I can make a list of what is good and try making a gel food with only that. I also need to find nutritious things if they cannot have commercial stuff anymore. Anyone have success with boiled rice???

Does your tank have algae?

It's a relatively new cycle so I am still waiting on the algae - but I am planning to keep an entire wall full.

What brand of gelatin do you use?

Well, since I am in Europe I don't get the same brands here. I use Dr.Oetker, which is for baking and it says 100% human consumption gelatin.

Maybe you can try this Asian brand called " Agar Agar powder"...it's seaweed based, I use this all the time. 4 more info, just Google the same name.

I actually just saw this on the news. Many organic people seem to use it. Is it good for fish? It doesn't really matter if it isn't nutritious, as I add the protein etc in the ingredients. Is it easy on their tummy?

I use the same brand. It is good quality without anything that could cause problems.

Allergies to gelatin or AgarAgar are quite rare because it barely contains anything that could give an allergic reaction.

Good luck :angelstaf:

Edited by Quasi

Alrighty, so it's been a few hrs since the boiled spinach and he isn't floaty. :bingo: He is still foraging around the bottom.

The handfeeding of spinach worked very well as I did it on one side of the tank (for the big guys) and the little guys got pellets on the other side. So that can also be an option.

I noticed that he systematically gulps like mad after he is done eating (he did this today too, but relatively less). So obviously this contributes to the floatiness. Any idea why he does this? (currently retreating for flukes but I am pretty sure they are clear by now)