Another Newbie Question

molbert73

So I was just sitting here thinking while I was surfing around on here. The tank and stand that I am looking into getting is quite expensive and I will have to use money that I get from my inlaws for Christmas to buy it. I know that I will be VERY impatient about getting it up and running and stocked with fish once I have it.

I really want to do things the right way so is it possible to get the filter and most of the things that will be going in the tank (I am planning on barebottom with this one) and place it all in a plastic tub and start the cycling process before I get the tank?

I thnik that would work, but you would need to feed the cycle by adding ammonia and testing the water daily. You can get pure ammonia from hardware stores I think, but make sure when you shake the bottle the ammonia doesn't foam up at all. Even if you do manage to cycle the tub, you will still want to give it time to cycle the tank. The tank is much larger in comparison to a plastic tub, and you will need more time for the Beneficial Bacteria to colonize the tank.

Therefore you can definitely get some good biomedia started up, but you will still want to give it time with the new tank. Also Don't add too many fish at once to the new tank, this will cause a cycle bump and make a mess for your fish. Add new fish one at a time and don't forget to quarantine. :D

There are articles about fishless cycling here too if needed. :heart I hope this helps some.

Edited by Haruka

Yeah, that would totally work! The only right kind of ammonia I've been able to find was at Ace Hardware. If you have one near you, check there. Make sure you use a really large filter (or two) and just LOAD them with biological media. You cannot have too much.

SUCH a great idea and yes that would be such a HUGE help in jumpstarting your new tank!!! I once did an experiment in "growing" good bacterias with different bottled bacteria and basically I created a cycle in 5 different buckets at once to see which was the fastest. (FYI none of them really made a difference for me but others say that there are a few that work)... Then once I had all those 5 buckets cycled, I used the cycled media in tanks..

I also happened to find clear pure ammonia at my walmart but others say that their walmart doesn't have it.. But it's worth a shot to check yours.. I was thrilled when I found it, and checked the ingredients, then did the shake test and it didn't foam! lol Good ole walmart lol

Thanks for the input! I have a ton of rubbermaid tubs just lying around from when we moved 3 years ago. Now I just have to find a spot in my house where my boys, dogs and cat can't get into it! I can just see my friends now when they come over wondering what the heck I am doing!

Yes ,Ace hardware all the way.

Fishless cycle is the easiest way . No stress on fish and no water changes necessary until fish go in.

I have done a cycle with fish in the tank , but had to do water changes everyday .

I definitely want to do it the easiest way for me and the fish! I would just rather look at a tub with a filter on it for a month or so rather than a fishless tank :)

I think my plan will be tub with filter and then I will put a couple plants in the tub. Should I also add the tank ornaments too or will it be ok to add later? I have 2 different themes in mind so I'm not quite sure yet.

You can add the ornaments later, that's fine. It will be good to have plants in there, I've heard they can help a tank cycle faster, and certainly they will eat up some nitrates (end product of the cycle).

just make sure the tub is large enough (compared to your tank) - I tried this on a way too small tub and it didn't work.

oh, what are the theme possibilities?! :theater:

I either want to do an asian theme or a tiki bar theme. 2 very different ideas but I like both. I have always had a bit of a fascination with asian art (even though I have none in my house) I think that it comes from all the stuff my Grandfather brought back from China during world war 2. And the tiki bar is just fun.