What Kind Of Shrimp Is This?

It does look like a crayfish! And you said it had a blue tinge to it? It might be a baby electric blue lobster. My brother had one of those once. I don't know why it wouldn't have pincers though....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then I would tell him that he should get used to the camera and :borgg:

Poor Sirius. He never knew he was going to be used on a message board for all eternity when I made that photo.... :rofl:lol1

One of my co-workers suggested he might be a vampire shrimp, but I can't find any good photos to back that up.

I'd obviously need to immediately rename him Edward, if that was the case....

If he is indeed a crawdad, what the heck do I do with him? Is he tank-safe? Do I need to get him other crayfish buddies?

This is absolutely ridiculous, by the way. I give up my Freak Fish ways and swear to keep no more mutants, and what happens? They apparently spontaneously generate in my tank.

That friend of mine mentioned that in nearly all lobster species eggs are cared for by the female and typically die if there are separated from her. So if it is a baby lobster, there would only be a very small number of species it can belong to. That's about all the information I got at the moment ...

• Supporter

cute and weird.. i'm so undecided.. but, i too am clueless as to what species it is.. however, the common sense of it all appears to be a deformed Amanos baby.. seeing as mummy was pregnant a month ago and the fact that you haven't added anything new to the tank.

i looked at the pics closely.., i think i can see pinchers forming.. yes?

I was thinking the same thing, having stared both at him and at the photos -- he has little grasping pinchers way up in front, between his two first muscular legs. I don't know if they're still growing, or stunted, or if that's just... what they're supposed to look like?

he looks like a vampire shrimp to me! if so.. your lucky ! i love these they get fairly big, and they are tough shrimp. my lfs sells em for 16 bucks each !

oh and to add on.. vampire shrimp do NOT harm fish :D

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Vampire%20Shrimp.htm

hope that link works but yes see? vampire shrimp :D ... mine disappeared though :S maybe it went to your tank hahaha

Edited by jls25

yay hahah two page discussion solved! im sad though that i lost mine .. :( i have or had a vampire shrimp and flower/bamboo shrimp (same thing) but then they went missing D:

I'm sorry about your losts. I also had a bamboo shrimp in with my common and he lived for just over three years. I used to love to watch him using his fans to filter feed.

I've never heard anything called a filter feeders. I wonder where yours came from? I love mystery threads. Haha.

Edited by whitner

::: cheers :::

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the detective work! ;)

I took him out of the floating fry tank and stuck him in with the babies; they don't have any shrimp in their tank, and they've got a nice bunch of plants and a pot where Little Creeper can hide.

Of course, we still don't know how the heck he got into my tank in the first place... but let's just call it a Halloween Miracle and not think too hard about it. :doh11:

I just read stuff up about them, and they seem to be neat little critters. I wonder if they'd do well in a 10 gallon betta tank?

it will do perfectly fine. these guys actually pretty much never move. they just choose a spot to hide and bam. they are fine. really cool shrimp

It kind of looks like a vampire but where are the fans?

We're not going to focus too much on that... I'm hoping now that I've sat him down and said, "Little Creeper, you're a vampire shrimp. You're nonagressive and get along great with goldfish," that he's going to follow suit. He probably doesn't know what he is anyway. I bet he's glad for the direction. ;)

He seems to be doing fine in his new tank; I imagine it's nice after being in both the filter and then the fry tank for so long. The goldies haven't even noticed he exists yet, so all is peaceful and well with the world! :clapping:

haha yeah they filter feed like crazy. its actually really cool seeing them do it. its like they grab nothing then their "hands" go towards their mouth as if about to eat. the great thing about these too is that they can get from 2-3 inches and even possibly 6 i believe. so in other words, no one will mess with them. and at the same time, they mess with no one.

Wow...only you Minx could get a free vampire for Halloween! I missed seeing you on the board.

I missed all y'all toooo!

I'm going to try to be a little more here, now -- my babies are growing up so fast that I'm going to need to shower the board with photos. ;)

(Plus, it doesn't hurt that my new job allows me more computer time....)

• 1 month later...