What Kind Of Shrimp Is This?

So, I'm hoping you beautiful, brilliant Kokos folks can help me out with this one --

About a month, I noticed that one of my Amanos was pregnant, which is ridiculous of her, because who gives birth in a goldfish tank? Have some sense, shrimp!

Anyway, last week, as I was pulling out my filter insert for a cleaning, this dude came along with it:

5eaaac8d.jpg

I screamed like the little girl I am, and threw him into a fry tank, where he has been floating ever since (much to the horror of the goldies, who apparently view the whole scenario in much the same way I would if someone hung a twinkie just out of reach above my bed).

Is this... is this what baby Amanos look like? He's about as long as a silver dollar, and a half an inch wide, and he just seems... burlier than his parents. And the wrong color. And he's got spikes on his feet.

Assuming he is indeed just a little baby Amano shrimp, does anyone have any idea how long it'll be until he starts looking more normal? I'm afraid to toss him into the main tank to fend for himself, because he still seems sort of squishy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hun I have no idea what that is but it isn't an amano shrimp baby. When amano shrimps eggs hatch they are free floating larvae and believe me they don't survive in a tank with goldies. They also need to be caught at that free floating stage and but in brackish water to survive, otherwise they die. I wouldn't put that thing in any of my tanks if it was me at least until someone can id it. :unsure:

Not a bamboo shrimp, they don't have those spiky, hairy legs. They are actually very delicate looking. I agree with Shell tho, that thing must of hitched a ride. :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of one:

http://www.forum.sim...ead.php?t=51895

Edited by caitie

::: LAUGHS :::

So it *is* an alien shrimp!?

I don't know what to tell you guys -- I really try to never ever introduce new things into my tank, because Chester is allergic to pretty much everything under the sun and his eyes tend to swell up and fall out when I change his food, let alone add in a new plant. ;)

I got the amanos about a year and a half ago (well, a year and seven months, if you count their quarantine period), and I added a new java fern maybe... eight months ago? But it was one of those prepackaged dry ones that they sell sitting in clear goop on an endcap at Pet$mart, and I rinsed it like it was my job before I put it in the tank.

It's like a Halloween horror movie, aquarium-style. Who knows what terrors lurk within your filter.................... :o

That thing looks like a tarantula with a few missing legs and eyes...yeesh! I did an image search for freshwater shrimp and can't find anything that looks like him, nothing with spiky feet like that and he doesn't look like a filter feeder. If it was a marine tank I might be able to find a few candidates but most freshwater shrimp I can find are either filter-feeders or very smooth, and he's decidedly spiky...

Is there a way you can get a photo from the side or top or both?The one here from the front really looks more like a weird spider.

I love its cute "I will kill you in your sleep"-expression.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

So, I'm hoping you beautiful, brilliant Kokos folks can help me out with this one --

I screamed like the little girl I am, and threw him into a fry tank, where he has been floating ever since (much to the horror of the goldies, who apparently view the whole scenario in much the same way I would if someone hung a twinkie just out of reach above my bed).

:rofl

This is the exact reaction I had, when during filter cleaning I found a spider who had started to make a nest above the internal filter. :doh11:

It looks like some type of Crustacea, but which one, no idea :idont

I love its cute "I will kill you in your sleep"-expression.

It's less endearing when I'm actually worrying about it *doing* that.... Luckily my fry tank is SUPER STURDY, like something that could hold very small zombies. Creepy shrimp are no problem.

It looks like some type of Crustacea, but which one, no idea :idont

At least I got the right board.... ;)

------------------

Okay! Here are some additional photos.

I hope they're helpful, because Little Creeper got all nervous as a result of the camera, and started tapping around his cage in a threatening way, and I felt both "Awwwwww" and terribly intimidated.

Have at, brilliant Koko-type people!

cc28ad27.jpg

c4d3c523.jpg

93c9e2ee.jpg

He's deformed?!?! My poor Little Creeper!

He turned out *really* dark in these photos -- he's actually much more blue-gray, which is a relief, because maybe he'll blend into the foliage and I won't need to worry about him. ;)

Maybe he escaped from District 9 :rofl.

Seriously though, I haven't a clue except that it's clearly a shrimp-like crustacean. A friend/colleague of mine is a bit in to shrimps so maybe he can identify it. I'll send him a link to the picture and let you know if he has some idea about that weird fellow (or gal) 's identify ...

Maybe he escaped from District 9 :rofl.

Seriously though, I haven't a clue except that it's clearly a shrimp-like crustacean. A friend/colleague of mine is a bit in to shrimps so maybe he can identify it. I'll send him a link to the picture and let you know if he has some idea about that weird fellow (or gal) 's identify ...

That would be awesome! I really don't have the resources to give him his own tank, so what this will boil down to is a) should he float in a brick-sized fry tank the rest of his life, b) can he exist peacefully with the amanos in my big tank, or c) if he promises to be a nice boy, can I put him in with my babies, or will he jump onto them like a velociraptor and chew off their fins?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! He is soooooooo adorable!! (Im weird I know). I would keep him in his own tank and name him Insect cos he only has six legs and I would maybe get him a snail friend and a Men In Black background :heart And then I would tell him that he should get used to the camera and :borgg:

I think it looks like a crayfish. But yeah, it doesn't have the pincers. I bet if you post this on some kind of crustacean forum they could ID it for you! I'm curious to find out what it is too.