He's Not Eating. What Can I Do?

Kerstin

Sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions. Bill Nye hasn't eaten since yesterday. I tried freeze dried bloodworms and his pellets but he wants neither.

Now he's sitting in his little terra cotta pot and just stays there. What do I do?

Water parameters are fine. I tested them. Temp is about 78. And I did put the filter back in but pointing in a different direction so I does not create such a big current. He stopped eating before that, though.

any signs on him... like fin problems and such? Is he showing grey color on his chest or anything?

No, he looks fine, just a little skinny. Still looks like on the photo that I posted in the "still hiding" thread.

Is there salt or anything added to the water?

No salt, just Prime waterconditioner. Changed 50% of the water on tuesday.

The first thing I might do just to see if it would help is another small water change.... :)

Thanks Koko. Like 1/3 or 50%? Should I add some salt?

Did a 50% waterchange and bought him some frozen bloodworms. Thinking he might like those better. But he's not doing well at all. Just floating around with his head in the air and then sinking to the bottom.

The water parameters are fine and I've also kept the temps around 78. Just don't see what else I can do???

Maybe he was already sick when I got him? Who knows.

Any input would be appreciated...

You might want to add some aquarium salt to his water the good dosage for bettas would be 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons of water. You say he doesn't have any signs like ich, but does he clamp his fins?

You might want to add some aquarium salt to his water the good dosage for bettas would be 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons of water. You say he doesn't have any signs like ich, but does he clamp his fins?

No signs of ich and no signs of fin rot either. At this point he is just lying on the bottom of the tank, coming up for air every now and then, but even then he just swims like sideways now. I'll put some salt.

Thanks

I know you say he is skinny but have you noticed if his belly is a little fatter or rounder than usual? I wonder if he might be constipated, that makes bettas very uncomfortable. :undecided:

Do you think you could get a picture of him at all? What's your pH?

The ph is about 7.8

My camera is at work so I can't take a photo right now. He still looks just like in the photo I posted in the other thread. There is two of him in Bill Nye's tank thread

Edited by Kerstin

I know you say he is skinny but have you noticed if his belly is a little fatter or rounder than usual? I wonder if he might be constipated, that makes bettas very uncomfortable. :undecided:

If at all he looks thinner. I looked at him against the light and the bottom half of his body where the fin starts you can see the light shine through... He ate fine before yesterday, though. :(

I'm so sorry you lost him hun. :cry1 You did everything you could to help him but unfortunately sometimes we can't save them. Some bettas are just not strong enough.