Betta Water

EdgarTheFish

I was wondering what you use for your betta's water.. I've seen "BettaFin" (I think thats what its called) at pet supermarket which is supposed to do something to the water for your bettas.. I've always bought spring water but if I can save the money then I'll do it that way. She's a very dirty little betta fish..

Can I just use tap water and treat it with prime?

Also, do you think an airstone would be too much on the water surface in such a small tank (2 gallons)? The diameter is probably only 6 to 7 inches across.

Also, would a live plant be ok in the 2 gallon? I'm not used to having fish that won't destroy plants.. and if so what's a good starter plant, and what would I need to keep it alive?

Thanks in Advance!

I haven't had Bettas in over a year but I always kept mine in tap water treated with prime.. All those bottled betta waters seem to be a gimmick to me. As long as you test your tap water and the ph is and everything that would be fine! (And cheaper! lol)

As for the airstone, u can try it but bettas actually seem to prefer more still water.. I wouldnt get something that circulates the water too much, you know?

Never kept any live plants so I couldn't help you there. Always just had plastic and ornaments..

I have always used tap water conditioned with prime and no complaints so far :) I have also used small filters,air stones,or nothing at all... it really depends on the Betta..I have also kept java ferns and moss balls currently :)

Hi Crystal,I use r/o water for mine-but IF my ammo did not come out of the tap @ 1 I would use tap and Prime too. I'm w/ Sue,I think those waters are a come onbingo.gifI have various plants in w/ mine-they really like anacharis(sp?)-they hang out and rest on it. I've got filters on all of my tanks,but they are very small-and none of them seem to have a problem w/ it. I've only added an airstone if 1 of them is sick. You'll be able to tell what he does and does not likewink.gif

Yeah I had filters on all my tanks. My bettas were always in 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon tanks and I use the Whisper Internal Filters. I forget the size, but I could look it up if you wanted. They don't create a lot of water movement but they filter well... I always kept my bettas tanks very packed. LOTs of hiding places and decorations and lots of plastic plants... And I used mini heaters for them to keep the tanks nice and warm the way they like it.. I believe Marineland has a mini stealth heater that would be perfect..

When I first had bettas I used one of those 2.5 gallon Mini Bow's that has a divider and kept two males.. But I heard that is not good for them, and actually can stress them out. So I stopped doing that and split them up. One time I had one of my male bettas in a 5 gallon and ended up setting up a goldfish in the same room. The betta started biting his own fins off because he was stressed that the fish was there.. lol

I liked having them but it was alot of work since I already had so many goldie tanks. And although they are so pretty, I feel like they don't have the personality that goldies have..