Can Snails Get Their Air From The Bubble Wand?

number20121

Since Speedy discovered the bubble wand I hardly ever see him come up to the surface to breathe anymore. He spends a lot of time crawling over the bubble wand though, sometimes getting filled with air that when he takes off and floats to the surface he even stays there for a minute before he sinks back down.

So I'm just wondering if theoretically the snail can get the air from the bubble wand too?

Apple snails have gills and lungs. If they have to use their lungs, they'd have to use their breathing siphon at the surface. They have either option to use thus enabling them to survive even in oxygen depleted waters.

That's not possible for them. The bubbles simply produce oxygen by breaking the water surface thus allowing gas exchange, not necessarily the bubbles being oxygen filled. The snail is most likely using his gills to survive so to speak.

My snails love the bubbler in their tank. Maybe they just like the way the bubbles feel on their foot? I bet it tickles. Tehehe. ;)

Edited by whitner