Did You Ever Test Lfs Water?

number20121

I wanted to kick myself in the rear end when I got Vanille, because only after disposing of the water in the bag from the LFS I thought about testing the LFS water, just for the heck of it.

Did any of you ever do that? What were the results?

I am dying to do it! Never had the courage - you would have to do it in the store tho, as the water get icky quick in the bags.

Always ..now!! ;)

But after that smug answer I have to explain why.

I never use to, until someone here at kokos gave me the idea you have. Then I started. Since all my fish have always come from local stores I was curious to see what their water was like.

With one fish the pH was under 6 - very very low- and ammonia was 2 or 3. I forget which, but it was alarming. This is a store with a 20 minute ride home. I dont think the fish could excrete that much ammonia alone in an oxygenated bag in that time.

Another time, I asked the guy for the pH and he told me it was high...around 8. Well I cant remember exactly what the readings for amm and nitrites/trates were that time but the pH was not 8 it was 6.5.:o

The pH difference can be huge for new fish, it's definitely worth checking.

Hi! Been a long while since I've posted. :hi Quite some time ago I did test the water in the bag from the lfs...I was stunned to have a reading over 100 for nitrates. I had thought maybe the half hour ride might mess up the nitrate reading...but someone from here pointed out there is no "beneficial bacteria" in the bag...very true...and very scarey what some fish have to live in!

• Admin

I know im bad sometimes not asking about the PH but you guys did bring up a good thing. We really should test the water in the bags. Since you never know what the true PH of the water is, and if its off from yours like 1.o off this can either stress the fish out or kill them.

the other good advice, never ever put the water in from the bag into your tank, not good since you dont know if those fish had flukes in the tank water...... :o