What To Do.....

kshepherd87

Star Fisheries in the UK are having open days this weekend and my lovely mother has agreed to buy me a tele for my birthday "if that's what I really want" (her words) :D Star Fisheries are the only decent goldfish breeder I've found in the UK so I really don't want to miss this opportunity to get a well bred and healthy fish. So my dilemma now is where to house the new little fellow. I've had Esme for 5 days and she's in a little 12 gall QT tank, I also have the 43.5 gall main tank which is still yet to be set up (PP should arrive today so I can disinfect tonight and set up tomorrow). Should I put Esme in the big tank and the new guy in the QT? Or both in the big tank as they're both very new? I was thinking of treating Esme for flukes as a precaution so would it make sense to wait and treat both together? Also, if my PP doesn't arrive until tomorrow will both fish be ok in the 12 gall for a day while I set up the big tank? If not I can pick up some bleach today and clean the tank with this instead - though bleach scares the heck out of me! I really don't want to risk Esme's health and am terrified introducing a new fish might do that - would keeping them separate for a while make sense?

Confusion! :krazy:

Edited by Kymie

Keeping them separate is your best bet, I would wait until you see the SF fish before deciding who goes where, you might get a bigger telescope from them which would be better in the bigger tank. I'd be more comfortable putting a fish from SF with Esme, they have a very rigorous QT procedure of several weeks, but you can't guarentee Esme won't give the SF fish something! So I would still keep them separate for QT :)

Thanks Devilduck :) Keeping them separate definitely makes me less nervous! It's awesome to hear about SF's QT procedure :) I'm sooooo excited already, I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep until Saturday!

I'm tempted to buy a big 10 or 15 gall tub (do we get rubbermaids in the UK?) in case my PP doesn't arrive in time so the new guy can go in there - would a DIY shop have this kind of thing?

Thanks for your help :D

I just buy plastic storage boxes from those cheap home furnishings stores like Wilkinsons, or you can get them in Tesco, I was looking at a 20 gallon for ?10 in a massive Tesco last week. And there's always that old fail-safe, IKEA :) I've never had a problem with the plastic leeching but it's a good idea to leave them full of water (maybe start hot) for a day or two if possible. I've also used plastic drawers out of those drawer unit things for Rusty as she's so small, they hold about 4-6 gallons :)

Awesome, I'm glad I have a back up :) I found this - https://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1621055 - I'm just worried about colour or the rubber/plastic leaching?? It's the largest thing I've found though, almost 20 gallons! Would it be safer to get a solid plastic tub?

I wouldn't get something that says 'flexible', water tends to make things bow under pressure, I could see that ending up in disaster. I have bought boxes from B&Q before too, and colourless is better I think. LINK This is about 10 gallons and the sort of thing I use. If you've got a huge Tesco near you they're doing 20 gallons for ?10, or the Newcastle one is at least. For QT the 10 gallons isn't as important except if you've got an uncycled filter, they're not going to be in it long enough to be stunted and most people do more frequent water changes on QT tanks, I've got Red and Chester in 5 and 6 gallons each and they're much bigger than Esme.

Thanks Devilduck, I'll see what I can find :) All of my tanks are uncycled as I only restarted my hobby a couple of weeks ago :( Esme's QT is mid cycle now but the new guys tank will be uncycled so I'm thinking a bigger tub will be best - plus lots of water changes of course. I miss my cycle so much, I'll never take it for granted again!!

I'm soooooo excited! I've found some great storage containers at a Staples near my work - I'll be heading down tomorrow lunch to get one :) There's a pets @ home there too so I might treat myself to some fishy bits as well for my birthday!

My only concern is that my spare filter pumps 1000 litres per hour - that would equal 20x filtration in a 50 litre tub :o Should I get a bigger tub if I can find one? I don't want to create a whirlpool!

Can you turn the filter down at all? Or you could pack it extra full with sponge, or stick some in the outlet bit, that always slows mine down. I had to stick sponge in the outlet of Addie's filter or it would just push him round and round the tank, and it wasn't a big filter.

There are settings for the flow - top nozzle, bottom nozzle and a row of little holes which are gentler for plants. I will use the plants setting but it's still quite strong - maybe I'll have to tie some sponge in front of the little water outlets if the current is too strong! Good idea Devilduck, thanks :)

I'm really hoping my PP has arrived when I get home so I can disinfect the tank tonight and just put the newbie in there instead!