Walley Is Such A Pain...

amynmitchell

Walley is probably one of the prettiest fish around, but his tail is three times the size of his body and he just doesn't grow. I would think he was stunted, but he came from Raingarden. I am starting to think that he has chinadoll in him.

Regardless, he has been with me since March and has always spent the majority of his time on the bottom in the corner. If he isn't sulking in a corner, he manages to get himself stuck. So far, he is the only fish that has ever gotten in the intake while I siphoned. I have rescued him from under a peice of driftwood, in a plant, behind a rock, and numerous times I have pulled his tail out of the filter intake. Sitting directly under the filter intake is his favorite place to hang out and to forage, which means he is tail up under the intake all the time.

Tonight, I came home and didn't see him anywhere. It took me ten minutes to find him wedged upside down behind the spray bar. He is fine. He swam away and doesn't have a mark on him (all his escapes end this way), but I am out of ideas of how to keep him out of trouble. He probably needs his own completely empty tank, but I don't have space for a second tank. And I travel a lot for work, so I have to count on my husband to find him and keep track of him. Fine when he is sitting in the corner or swimming around, hard when he is stuck under things.

Health wise, I really think he is okay. I could be wrong, but I think he just can't get around with those big telescope eyes and that insane broadtail. Steve said these are very delicate little fish. But I just think he will end up killing himself by going somewhere unsafe. I really thought the tank was babyproof, but I would prefer not to get rid of the spray bar.

Ahhhhh,what price beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amy,how big is your tank? What about putting some filter floss around the intake? Would it work to add a divider while you're away-so Wally is in an empty space(and away from the spray bar)and can't get lost while hubs is on tank duty?

• Supporter

Amy, sir loyn bottom sat for some time too.. he just kept sitting during down time, all the time. even stopped socializing.. but he was the first to make it to food or to the glass so see me. I was outta options too.. no signs of illness or anything abnormal and the water params were always great. at first I though due to the slight overstocking, so I put him in qt to see if that made a difference,...... nothing! then I thought, bacteria? I hit him with a few rounds of flagy (1 week) and the change in him astounded me! he's been fine ever since..

do you think something like this could be happening to Wally?

Oh no Amy!!! :rofl SOrry but your post was too funny! This is why I always think that goldies would NEVER survive in the wild! Sometimes they really miss that 'self preservation' instinct!

How is the current? That is really the only idea I have? Can you not lift the spray bar out of the water? I don't understand how he would get stuck? The only trick I have used was putting the intake in corners - it seems to reduce their fabulous ways of getting stuck or smashing into it!

@Helen, just remember that Prazi is only for parasites, it does nothing for bacteria :) I guess Sir L had some flukes going on :)

Might be a way to reposition the spray bar , so that there is no place for Walley to get stuck anymore. The intake can be changed too .

Maybe post some pictures of Your intake , and spraybar , and everyone can give You some ideas .

• Supporter

Oh no Amy!!! :rofl SOrry but your post was too funny! This is why I always think that goldies would NEVER survive in the wild! Sometimes they really miss that 'self preservation' instinct!

How is the current? That is really the only idea I have? Can you not lift the spray bar out of the water? I don't understand how he would get stuck? The only trick I have used was putting the intake in corners - it seems to reduce their fabulous ways of getting stuck or smashing into it!

@Helen, just remember that Prazi is only for parasites, it does nothing for bacteria :) I guess Sir L had some flukes going on :)

frederica.. i believe, i did say flagyl.. where'd you get PRAZI from ? :blink: ?

Flagyl contains metronidazole, it's the same thing as metromeds and Jungle AP but in 'human' form :)

Amy I'm afraid I have no ideas for you other than is it possible he's growing? Rusty bottom-sat for weeks at a time when she was going through growth spurts, even if they didn't seem to be very big ones and she'd hide under the driftwood etc. Does he bottom sit all the time or for periods and then not?

Edited by devilduck

That's an awesome idea Sarah! I think that is why Stevie was acting so weird last week - I noticed yesterday one of his eyes has grown a lot, so I am thinking growth spurt.

Literally, everything is a danger zone for Walley. He is the only fish I have had choke on a peice of gel food. I have a major tank day ahead of me, so I will try and get some pictures. Everytime he gets stuck in something it gets removed or changed, but eventually I will end up with an empty tank. It is a 40 gallon with right now two fish in it. The new fish is done with QT today and going in the main tank, that is the reason for all of the work.

The first time he got stuck was a peice of flat horizontal driftwood that laid down over the bubble bar. He must have wiggled under it. The same thing he must have done with the spray bar. The spray bar is mounted by two plastic suction cups. That leaves barely a half an inch of space between the spray bar and the wall of the tank. I have no idea how he got under there. How do you mount it out of the water? I'm sort of at a loss for that. With the way it is hooked up to my cansiter and all the water it sprays I'm not sure how it would work. I'll try and get pictures in stages of working on the tank and post it today. I got the spray bar to try and reduce the current which I thought was the issue. But I'm starting to think that wasn't it.

I have a three plastic plants, and some live plants mounted on wood or rock. Usually I have a glass vase which no one uses, but Walley likes to hide behind. I have a very thin scattering of gravel which I like to keep for restarting a QT tank.

Walley has pretty much always bottom sat since I have had him. And I got him right around the time I had the major ulcer outbreak so this fish has been through it all meds wise, Formalin, prazi, salt, hp dip, ap food, metro meds, ab food, literally everything. Nothing changed his behavior. On top of his physical issues, he just can't swim well. He doesn't float, but he does end upside down when he is after food. He rights himself fairly quickly. I am starting to think he might be a swim baldder fish who is a sinker. Or that he has gotten into so much trouble everytime he has tried to swim that he gets in trouble, then gets scared to be adventurous again.

I am getting a two gallon bowl back from a friend and had the idea of sterlizing that and then putting him in it in the main tank. Of course, he could still swim in and out of it, but he may feel nice and safe in it.

But honestly, I'm not sure what to do with him.

The only thing more frustrating than a perpetually bottom-sitting fish is one that permanently bobs like a cork at the surface. I totally feel your pain. My calico ranchu is the same way. He just likes to vary WHERE he bottom-sits. Sometimes behind an ornament, sometimes in a corner. I've just gotten used to looking for him on the tank floor.

I've also had fish like Walley before, who, if there is any way possible to get stuck/trapped/buried, they will find it. EVERY time. A couple of my little pearscales were like that -- I don't think they realized how wide their bodies were. I bet that's the same issue with Walley -- he can't see well except to the side, due to those tele eyes, and doesn't understand what he's getting himself into until he's completely wedged.

What I finally had to do with one of the pearlscales was tell him, "Time to literally sink or swim, dude." That was the day he managed to get himself stuck behind the airline tubing that led to the air diffuser, the ONLY thing left in the tank aside from the filter intake (which he also managed to get caught behind). I mean, if a fish is going to be so accident-prone that it gets caught up in the ONLY THING LEFT IN THE TANK, well ... I just decided that it was no longer within my control.

Things will be cheerier when you have the new ryukiran in the tank to watch -- you'll have TWO swimming fish then, and only one doorstop. ;)

I'll just say it sounds stressful.

I went months with no problems, whole others had flippers ,floaters, and sitters... now I have a floater and a sitter:(

Hess says bottom sitting is either too much current or parasite loaded.

Edited by Texana

RD, I am sort of feeling like sink or swim as well. Sorry for all of the links...I couldn't the thing to work where you just pop a picture in.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the way the spray bar was originally mounted and my canister intake before:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish019.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish020-2.jpg

Here it is now that I have it going from the glass down:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish022-2.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish025-1.jpg

And the intake now:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish024-1.jpg

And two shots of the whole tank:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish029.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish030.jpg

Lookin good Now

If You would like to eliminate the foam on the intake , how about a larger intake screen ?

A larger screen would distribute the suction on a larger area , and that would keep Walley from getting stuck.

Heres a marineland filter strainer. It fits on a 1" tube (fits Aquaclear) but they come in different tube sizes or it can be adapted to fit using plastic tube or pipe fittings. Bigger aquarium stores have them or get them online.

strainer-1.jpg

strainerbag-1.jpg

There really isn't a lot that should bother him. Maybe he needs a padded cell-tank. It's a shame, he is such a nice and pretty fish. I like it a lot more how the spray bar is now, and this might help him a bit too. One less risk to get stuck.

I think he is wedging himself because he has a difficult time swimming. Only that can explain how he was behind the tiny space between the intake tube and the glass last night. But the padded cell tank is probably what he really needs. I do like the idea of a larger strainer, because that sponge is collecting junk instead of the canister which is a royal pain.

I love the idea of the larger intake strainer, too -- that sounds like a workable solution. I hope it helps!

I had a small pearlscale once wedge itself behind the intake and glass. But he managed to do it in such a way that the intake tube was pressing right on his gill plate, with his other side flush against the glass, and I think he suffocated. :( Honestly, for fish like that, I don't know that there's anything more that can be done.

I think he is wedging himself because he has a difficult time swimming. Only that can explain how he was behind the tiny space between the intake tube and the glass last night. But the padded cell tank is probably what he really needs. I do like the idea of a larger strainer, because that sponge is collecting junk instead of the canister which is a royal pain.

Aquarium city in Canoga Park has lots of strainers

It is complicated, but I had to take off my canister. So I didn't want to keep the intake to the Aquaclear covered. And I decided to let Walley out of the colander. When I looked at him an hour later his entire tail was up the intake and I actually had to turn it off to get him out. Clearly , something more is going on with him if he is getting stuck this easily. I floated him back in the basket, but it honestly doesn't look good. I'm not sure what else I can do. I did buy a bigger colander.

Hope all gets better with him. It is SOO frustrating to not know the cause of a problem. Right now I have a "cork fish" (surface gulper) AND a bottom sitter!! There are times I ALMOST feel like giving up!!!

I have changed to that intake on all three of my Aquaclear 110s & I REALLY like them!! Much better than the stupid little cone thingee that comes on the filter!!

Best to you & your fishies!!!