How Do You Treat Fin Rot?

number20121

I don't think I have a fish suffering from this, I'm just tired and weird but Vanille's fins look a teeeeeny tiny bit frayed. Not really. They're quite clear between the rays so maybe it just looks like slight fraying because of the way the light hits it.

BUT how does fin rot look when it is starting and how do you treat it? Just in case something weird happens, I am rather prepared than overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance!

I agree! With both^^

Any kind of stress, and especially cycling stress definitely can bring on some mild finrot. It's really best not to use meds on early stage finrot unless there are additional symptoms.

Gotcha. Since she is in the 10 gallon hospital tank being treated for possible flukes (all I see her do is yawn occasionally, other than that completely normal behavior so I'm not even sure if flukes) do a 50 - 80% water change twice a week. The tank is not cycled, but seeded with media from the main tank and the water params are 0/0/0.

So the water can't be much cleaner, and it is at 0.2% salt.

• Supporter

my fish yawn from time to time.. even after a water change.. i think if it does not happen often, that it's quite normal.. if it does happen often, then possible flukes or your water params are out a bit.

How often is often? I may see her once a day. And the other goldis are being treated for flukes because I have seen all of them yawning - which I never did before - but they all act completely fine. Only the first few days I saw some off behavior in some of them. Actually only two, Hugo seemed depressed and Blacky Fishie was clamping for a day. No gulping, no bottom sitting, nothing. The other fish never showed any off behavior aside from yawning.

Now I'm treating with Prazi Pro for at least 4 weeks. I honestly lost track of how long because a little after I started on the main tank I started in the tropical too, in case I cross contaminated their tank, and then I got Vanille and started too.

I should have wrote it all down on a calendar... :krazy:

I don't see anyone in the tropical tank yawning, but it is hard to see platys yawning, I guess. I'll keep treating the main tank for at least two more weeks though, just to make sure. And Vanille needs to be in quarantine two more weeks also, got her for two weeks now.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang