Filter Intake

stevent

How strong is the filter, and how big was the fish? A healthy fish shouldn't get stuck to the filter intake, unless the filter is too strong and the fish way too little. Like the strongest filter I have in my tank is for 70 gallons and has 350gph that sucks stuff up pretty easily.

My smallest fish Chibi was only 3 inches long when I got her, but her body itself only about 1,75". Being a fancy tail she is not as strong of a swimmer compared to single tails.

Still, she never had any problems with the filter intake, she can swim past it just fine.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Yes, I agree, how big was the fish, and was it sick? A healthy fish will avoid it, but like the others said I would put a sponge of a mesh sleeve over it, or I would make sure you have an intake where the end is slatted so it's not just a big hole sucking up water.

If you like decor, you can park a tall plastic plant in front of it. That's what I've done for my Fluval 405's pickup. Hides the pickup tube also.

Otherwise, yeah, the sponge trick is probably your best option.

I have found that only sick fish or fish with really long flowing tails get stuck in the intake. They do make a filter sponge that is made to perfectly got over the intake, but you have to rinse it pretty regularly. I got one, but haven't tested it out yet.