Wen Dissappeared Overnight

c_ramkalawan

Hi Everyone,

This morning my fiance discovered that one of his 2 4inch orandas is missing it's wen.

He said that it appears as if it was "eaten off"

Is this possible? Or is there some other possible explanation?

I can't provide any water parameters at this time.

The fish is now bottom sitting and doesn't seem interested in eating.

Any suggestions? should we add some salt maybe for possible infection?

=[

Any way we could get photos of it? Maybe you could still answer these other questions as some of the answers here might help to determine what happened to the fish! :)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Ok well i'll try

Tank size (how many gals.) 20 gallons

and how long has it been running? a year

What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaclear 50 and an internal cannister filter

How often do you change the water and how much? 1/2 every 2 weeks

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 4inch orandas, 1 yoyo loach

What kind of water additives or conditioners? none

What do you feed your fish and how often?[/size][/font][/b]

Any new fish added to the tank? the yo-yo loach about a week ago

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus- Missing wen

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Botton sitting not eating

Oh, your poor fish. Can you put up a tank divider for the time being? Mine are simple mesh screens I got at the fish store. I don't know if your loach or the other fish may have eaten the wen, but whatever has happened, it might be a good idea to separate the fish for the time being, at least. I would say add aquarium salt, but I am not sure if loaches are salt tolerant (or if they are compatible with goldfish--someone else may have more information on this point). If you have a quarantine tank, you might move the loach for now, as he is the new addition--so it seems likely that this may be related to his arrival.

{btw I just googled yoyo loach and goldfish wen and found several accounts of them eating wen and others of them nibbling on goldfish tails and scales. So, I think the first course of action is to remove the loach immediately. It seems that this particular kind of loach is not compatible with goldfish after all. Can you return him, possibly?} Sorry you have had this trouble--I hope your fiancee's oranda recovers.

Thanks guys

The yo-yo actually came from another tank with other small fish so we'll put him back in there.

I just hope the fishy recovers =[ he seems so sad without his lovely wen

Yes, I agree, separating the loach was definitely a good idea, and like Federica said, I would quarantine the fish with the eaten wen and treat with .1% salt (1 teaspoon per gallon) It should definitely heal over soon.

The only loaches that are correctly compatible with goldfish are dojo loaches. Botiine loaches in general are tropicals. Their temperature and dietary requirements are very much different. In a way, they just do not mix well at all.

Even fellow goldfish can eat the wen. Once they develop a taste for wen, there is no stopping that habit anymore.

Separate the fish and do add salt as a precaution against infection. Biobandage isn't a bad idea either but I'd go with salt for now first.