Goldfish Wants To Eat But Can't

onlyjustjona

My little black ranchu, Precious, sees the sinking pellets falling but seems to be unable to follow them so that she can eat them. The other fish end up eating all the pellets long before she can spot another one that hasn't yet been eaten. I read that she should eventually learn to eat after a while but it's been at least a month since I've seen her catch a pellet. I'm pretty sure she's feeding off the algae that grows in the tank but I want her to eat the pellets like my other fish. Help please?

My little black ranchu, Precious, sees the sinking pellets falling but seems to be unable to follow them so that she can eat them. The other fish end up eating all the pellets long before she can spot another one that hasn't yet been eaten. I read that she should eventually learn to eat after a while but it's been at least a month since I've seen her catch a pellet. I'm pretty sure she's feeding off the algae that grows in the tank but I want her to eat the pellets like my other fish. Help please?

I have a few slow swimmers that get to the dinner table last.They dont allways get as much to eat as the other guys when I feed sinking pellets , but they get plenty when I feed frozen blood worms which drift slowly to the bottom.

Try some frozen foods until they learn to compete for the pellets.

How about trying to hand feed her? I have a pearlscale that gets pushed around by the faster fish so I have to hand feed him to make sure he gets his fill.

Or perhaps feeding him/her away from the other fish.

My pearlscale Red is awful at finding food before the faster orandas get it. I made gelfood and cut it into tiny squares to scatter in the tank for the orandas and I always cut a bigger square for him and he comes to the top and gets hand fed while the pigs are at the bottom :) When I've run out of gelfood and am feeding pellets I float a 1 gallon spare tank in the top, put him in there and he can feed at his leisure, I just let him out when he's done otherwise he's lucky if he gets 2-3 tiny pellets!

Yeah, I would just give him special attention at feeding time. Breeder box or divider or hand feeding will do the trick.

I have to hand feed my two telescopes as they are slower and can never seem to find the food. But I enjoy doing this very much!

• Supporter

i have a soft synthetic hand held strainer.. when my moor was tiny, which compared to everyone else in the tank, he most likey always will be, i used to just catch him in it and feed him there once done, i just let him go and he finishes munching on his own!.. he loved the attention.. and from this, he's now the first to come to my hand when feeding.. he's grown very confident now and he's fine if i throw food in his direction.