Comment On High Ph

Sakura

I just wanted to share a little tidbit of information I recently got from my fish vet regarding higher pH levels with goldfish. It basically confirms what we all say here at Koko's!

A pH of 8.3 is slightly elevated, but as long as it is stable I wouldn't worry about it. It is a greater problem if the pH fluctuates. The thing to be aware of with higher pH is that it can cause ammonia to be more toxic so it is important that your ammonia levels are consistently zero. I find people create more trouble adding chemicals trying to maintain a neutral pH.

Dr. Amy Kizer, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

Here's the website for the clinic where she works for more info about her and the clinic: Lexington Pet Clinic

The other day when I read the shocking story of Sarah and how she lost all her fish and suspected the high pH to have contributed I called the Koi guy in Holland and a Koi vet here. Both said it is absolutely no problem. The guy in Holland even keeps all his prize winning Kois and Goldfish at pHs of 8.0-8.5. :)

So that is a relief.

This is great to hear :) My tap water has a pH of 8.2 so my tank pH is always high, it seems very stable though. I was considering using additives to bring the pH down but I hate adding anything to my tank so this has made me v happy! :)

Another thing that makes me glad that the tap and tank water both show 7.5 pH. I hated using the pH up stuff, and the darn test strips always gave me wrong results and I kept adding more ph up. Glad the fish didn't get damaged from that.