Can You Use A 10 Gallon Heater For A 5 Gallon Tank?

us4298

I don't think it is going to hurt. You set it for a certain temperature, and it heats the water to that temperature. The only difference is that a heater for a 5 gallon tank wouldn't be strong enough to heat a 10 gallon tank, a heater that can heat up to a 10 gallon tank won't have any difficulties warming a 5 gallon tank.

Thing is though, are you using the 5 gallon tank for a goldfish? If so, this is way too small. A goldfish needs 10 gallons MINIMUM if it is a fancy one; single tails like comets and shubunkins need at least 20 gallons each. :)

I have a heater for 10-20 gal that I use in my 5 gal QT tank. I've been using it for about six months and it works fine with no major temp fluctuations. I would just keep a close watch on it and always have a thermometer in the tank to be safe. ;)

• Admin

My main thinking of heaters if it will fit, get a heater that is one size bigger than what you think. So if you have a 40 gal tank get one for a 50 gal tank, this way the heater wont burn out as fast :)

It actually works opposite folks

The part of the heater that wears out is the contact switch , not the heating element !

Because a higher watt heater will heat the water quicker in the smaller tank , it turns on and off more times a minute than a lower wattage heater.

The lower wattage heater stays on longer , because it takes longer to heat the same amount of water ,so it turns on and off less times a minute.

As the heater turns on , the electrical contact switch creates an electrical arch, which over time , will burn away metal from the switch.

So the higher watt heater's contact switch would be on and off more often and burn up sooner.

If Anybody has a clear glass heater , take a look inside near the top ,and You will see a small copper contact switch that has burn marks on it.

Dont let any of this scare You though, it is still OK to use the bigger wattage heater, it just wont last as long.

I actually have a solution for this. I am going to wire up an external temp controller like used in commercial air conditioners to the 400 watt heater for My big tank.It should make that heater last forever.

• Admin

Well i have always bought a heater that is one size bigger than what it should be for my tanks, Most of my heaters will last 6-7 years before they die... So hummm :o

Well i have always bought a heater that is one size bigger than what it should be for my tanks, Most of my heaters will last 6-7 years before they die... So hummm :o

I get 1 size bigger too even though they dont last as long , I would rather have more watts and I am OK with replacing them more often.

Im So Paranoid,My Quarantine Tank has a Quarantine Tank

Not related to the topic but I think that is SO hilarious. I just noticed it for the first time.. lolol

As for heaters this is interesting. I always did smaller heaters thinking that because they were goldies and I didn't need the temp as warm I could do hless watts. But that was just my thinking not because I knew for a fact what to use.. I feel like I found an article once saying so and went with that. I think my 55 gallon uses a 150 watt where if you look at this site:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Marineland-Stealth-Pro-Heaters+I47490447.aspx

It suggest a 200 watt for up to 55 gallons. I always did the opposite of what you guys did and went DOWN a size instead of up... So I guess according to the info thats good, but who knows..

Thanks for the helps guys, and for one of the posts above, I am not keeping Goldfish anymore, as my last time died about a month ago. I am going to be keeping tropical fish. BTW, does anybody know any hardy Tropical fish that can bear with the Nitrogen Cycle?

• Admin

Thanks for the helps guys, and for one of the posts above, I am not keeping Goldfish anymore, as my last time died about a month ago. I am going to be keeping tropical fish. BTW, does anybody know any hardy Tropical fish that can bear with the Nitrogen Cycle?

Guppies i know can take the cycling process :)