Your Favorite

molbert73

As the title implies, what is your favorite type of goldfish and why? Are different types of goldfish known for different personalities?

I'm sure that this question has been asked many times before and I am certainly not trying to start any arguments. I just want to get as much info that I can before I get a bigger tank.

I'm sure that I will be bombarding you all with many more questions before I take the "plunge" into a larger tank.

My favourite used to be calico because my fish was a calico. Now he is just orange and white and becoming more white all the time. So right now I don't have a favourite (I'm just waiting to see what my fish turns into).

I like a smoothly curving spine.

I like a really tall dorsal fin.

I like metallic single tails.... will never have one due to their size.

I don't like huge fat bellies, I think they might be sick or uncomfortable.

No like kinks in the fins they stress me out.

• Admin

My Favorite is tied between Oranda's and Ranchu's....

Oranda's cause of there cute wens and chubby faces, and Ranchu's same thing but most of them are so gentle and I just love that personalty :)

Mine is the fantil. It is stream line most have long flowing tails and they don't have as many health issues. Or at least the ones I have/had don't.

Second would be the oranda. Not ones with the huge heads that they can't even see. And longish bodies so they don't have a lot of swimming issue. I love their long flowing tails.

But my goldfish of all goldfish would be a true veiltail. Long flowing no V tail.

oh HARD one!!!

Beauty-wise, I like broadtail Ryukins with large humps :)

Personality-wise, it is a tie between Celestials and Telescopes. They are extra friendly and cuddly.

Smart -wise, I love ranchus! They are so zippy and clever!

• Supporter

I'm an oranda fan for sure. There is something about a big bubbly, wiggly, jelly-like wen and super chubby cheeks that brings a smile to my face. I also have a soft spot for ranchus... the way they waddle around is so cute.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

So that would explain my moor then. He is so curious and friendly when I am cleaning the tank. Comes right up to my hand to check out what I am doing :) I love it!

Oh and I do love the chubby cheeks of an oranda! I am going to need a HUGE tank to accomodate all the fish I will have to get since I will never be able to decide!

Edited by molbert73

I'm just starting out, but I am a fan of the oranda body and face. I'm starting to really look at the Ryukins lately. Such stunners. So maybe it's a tie.

I secretly think ranchus are so adorable. My hubby thinks they look as if another fish made lunch out of their dorsal fins. Silly man.

Oh, this is a tough one!

I know for sure that my absolute favorite type of goldfish is a short tail Demekin (a ryukin bodied telescope/butterfly). Preferably tricolor or red/white, though some metalic calicos are lovely. That's followed closely by short tailed ryukins, then ranchus.

I have a thing for short tailed goldfish! :wub:

I have to say the Moor or Telescope Eye/Demekin type is my Favorite by far :) Although the lionheads and Ranchus are really cute and come in a close second on my fav list :) and a nice long bodied Oranda would be my third choice :)

I don't really have a favourite type, I just have favourite fish ya know? I didn't used to like ranchus and lionheads because I thought the lack of dorsal looked weird, they've grown on me since but I've never owned one. Looking at my tank orandas seem to be my preferred choice, but that might just be because they're common and not so genetically mutated as some fancies, so it's easier to find healthy, good quality ones. Fantails seem to be becoming increasingly unusual at any size above 2-3" in the stores around me and I like my goldies bigger, which might be why I've never had a fantail steal my heart. My crowned pearlie certainly brings something special and calming to the tank, he's so mellow compared to the zooming orandas, but that might just be him not his breed. He does need special attention for feeding though, something to keep an eye on when setting up a tank.

When you're looking at stocking your tank I wouldn't go out with a list of '1 of these, 2 of those, 1 of them', just go and see who catches your eye. I didn't used to like orandas at all, now I have three. Pearlscales? Too much trouble, I have one crowned pearlie and am picking up two tikus for my bf this weekend. He ONLY likes tiku pearlies, he doesn't mind my fish but won't keep anything but tikus himself (which given how tricky they can be to keep and how attached he gets can be a bit of a pain).

Difficult to answer. Especially with me having so many different fish. I noticed that some type of fish have grown on me that I found gross before lol

Like I only used to like single tails and normal fan tails. Telescopes looked freaky to me, fish with wen like they had a huge tumor on their head. Fish with no dorsal seem so handicapped, celestials retarded, pearlscales as if they were about to pop and die etc.

As of now, the only fish I really don't want are pearlscales because they look so dropsied. And bubble eyes because I feel so bad for them and I'd be so scared of getting them injured.

I think Ryukins are growing to me a lot, especially long finned ones. I LOVE long fins. But I also love single tails because of their elegance. Telescopes because they are SO cute, and Orandas with wens that do not cover their entire face and and and and aaaaaahhh

:krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy:

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Originally back when I was preparing to get started on owning goldfish my favorite was the fantail. Then after learning more about goldfish and seeing all the different kinds I leaned towards the Ranchu because they are just too cute. :D

But now after owning one I have to say black moor is my favorite. :) Seeing him go into his little fits of rage when another fish eats a piece of food he had his eyes on is just too adorable. It's weird because at first I planed on not getting a moor. I always felt bad seeing fish with their eyes popping out like they are but seeing him at the store I just had to give in and get him, and I'm glad I did. :)

Telescopes will always be my favorite. I had them when I was a kid and the first time I saw them in the five and ten I was like WOW! I've always liked them best and it's always fun to watch them...they all have unique personalities and they're a very friendly fish. I like their looks, shape, and form, and to me I think they're quite graceful in their own way.

I love comets. There so awesome. Only time i had one though was when i was ignorant. 2 in a 10. I like black moors too. They are so innocent and nice and my fish othela, originally othelo but was a girl :-), always comes to great me with her wiggle dance.

My favorites are teles, with orandas in second and pearlies in third. When I was young, I thought teles were UGLY. But when I serious about goldfish, I only wanted pearlscales. Now I want one of everything.

But I'll never own bubble eyes, celestials (I'm sorry...they creep me out) or pom poms. And although there are great single tails out there, I'll never own one either.

I honestly love them all! But I don't like having a tank with an assortment of all different types. I prefer to keep the fish separated by type. So I've limited myself to keeping only my two most favorite types; butterfly telescopes (as my all-time favorites) and ryukins. Out of the ryukins I prefer the broadtails (look like butterfly tails).

I like ryukins because they seem smart, are really personable, and are super curious and inquisitive. I also just like the really rounded body shape and cute pointed faces. They are normally pretty strong swimmers and have relatively few health problems. However, the extremely round ones tend to have issues with the swim bladder because their bodies are so compact.

I like butterflies because they are so beautiful. They seem perfectly balanced; with the large (yet never ratty-looking) tails and big eyes. I had one butterfly whose eyes were particularly large, and when he swam next to the glass, you could see the eyes flatten a bit where they smooshed up against the glass. It was so cute. They are also some of the sweetest fish; I think it's because they can't see too well. But all the butterfly telescopes I've had are perfectly comfortable eating from my hand, and they always come over to investigate when they realize my hands are in the tank. They've also been super docile about being handled. The ryukins also come to my hands now, but a couple of them took a while to get comfortable with it.

Singletails are my all time favorites, esp. the comets with super big fins and loooong tails--stunning! That's why I am always trying to rescue feeder fish--you can find some really pretty ones for a great price. As for fancies I do like the fantails as a rule and someday I want to get a baby ranchu--they are just the cutest gf ever!

Mine would have to be telescopes! I had a one eyed black moor when I was younger and he was just the sweetest thing ever - I've loved teles ever since! Maybe it's because they don't see as well but from experience telescopes always seem to be the friendliest and gentlest - like my Esme is already squishing up against the tank glass every time I walk past after being with me only 3 days, such a cutie :heart

My favorite has to be the oranda, although I don't like when their wens get so large you can't see their faces. To me, their chubby faces are irresistible and I have never owned a bashful oranda. When cleaning the tanks, its is always the orandas I have to keep an eye on because they are constantly rubbing against my hand and trying to suck on my fingers. Even my husband who has never had much interest in the goldfish has claimed my newest oranda as "his fish" and is always asking to feed her (the fish food has always creeped him out in the past ;-).

However, I have to say I have gained a larger appreciation of the more exotic goldfish since I have joined this forum. Telescopes use to disturb me but after seeing some of gorgeous fish owned by the members of this site, I am now tempted to purchase a Black Moor as my next fish.