Guppy & Parsite Camallanus

mikroll

just when my experiment of raising a few guppy is going well guppy are showing signs of red thin worm visable, crawling out of vent. These guppy are second generation that I began with parent group in May and when brought into house for winter(as temperature outside now reaches 14?C and lower which may be as low as they can tolarate.) As I have little experience with treating this parasite I ask and welcome comments. the recomended treatment in my references is Levamisole also called Ascarilen here in Italy. Do not know if there is something better . Pictured is a young guppy with the red worms hanging out. also is a little video of the worms closeup 12 hours after fish died and they still wiggle.

P1070417.jpg

th_camallanusworm.jpg

oh gross!!!

would Praziquantel work on these?

edit:

sounds hard to kill - Fenbendazole is what I found.

This could be interesting for you:

people including fish shop suggested that but as you can see on the dead fish the prazi with which it was treated had very little effect. But fish shop did have Myxocyprinus asiaticus and I got one .

the link doesn't seem to work. trying again - you might have to copy/paste it. This guy also said that Prazi didn't work for him

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/154/

thanks, that is an great interesting account and well worth reading as it can save hundreds of hours of failed treatments and loss of fish. I went through same thing with goldfish and flukes , lost a lot too.

I have on shopping list ,levamisole (Ascarilen), Panacur ( Flebendazole). I have aa lot of Meds but do not hold those two. here are a lot of buffalo farms ( mozzerella cheese )and a lot of veternary support services too so I should be able to find something.

found at Italian web site ,acquaportal, a good picture documented article of dosing with levamisole, took 15 minutes to clean the things out of the angle fish using a much stronger dose that the one in Canada used.

I do the same thing when I dose my fish with prazi for fluke, increase dose with excellent quick sucess.

located at vet farm supply tetramisole which Dr. vet told me is composed of levamisole and better. Now will begin treatment of a few guppy in QT tank . tetramisole is at 20% so does of 2mg/lt = 10mg/lt and stock solution is prepared at 10 gram/liter and doesed at 1ml/liter. Also will try a strong does on some others and mix up some food to medicate with.

was cheap at farm supply 200 gram box (pictured) calculates to treat 20 thousand liter and cost 15 euro.

P1070459.jpg