Help Asap!

lovie

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? Low- 0.75

[*]Nitrite Level? Low - 0.05

[*]Nitrate level? Low - 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH-7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? ???

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Unknown (will look afterwards)

[*]Water temperature? 71?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gals, since August?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Filter size - 20 gals, brand, ???

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? At least every 2 weeks, about 100%, but I change gravel once a month

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Love A Lot, 3', Hercules 2 1/2', Plecostomus (re-homing soon) 3'

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqua-Safe

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Once a day, Total Goldfish flakes

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No, but I added Hercules and Spike a month or so ago.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Love a Lot is missing about 3-4 scales!!

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Eating fine, clamped fins, lethargicness and then sudden outbursts of craziness, drifting to the bottom and then jumping to the top, Hercules attacking Lovie!! (main concern is the attacking!!)

Help! I have no idea what to do :( I am really at the end of the rope. In no offensive way at all, I've not had such trouble with any other pets. as much as it hurts I am highly considering re-homing as I have no more energy, time, money and soon interest to care for these fish as much as I love them.

What should I do?

I there :)

I thin you are having problems because your tank isn't cycled yet. While it is cycling you need to be doing water changes much more often - when ammonia is 0.25 - 0.5 I would do a 50% or more water change. Cycling stresses the fish a lot, and letting the ammonia go up too much will eventually kill them.

WHen are you rehoming the pleco?

For a 20gal you really are at a MAX for 2 fancies - you will need to do 2x weekly 50% water changes once your tank is cycled. I think that is what some members here do.

and the dashes are probably from the ammonia burning them :( and the bullying is probably because they are feeling cramped.

I there :)

I thin you are having problems because your tank isn't cycled yet. While it is cycling you need to be doing water changes much more often - when ammonia is 0.25 - 0.5 I would do a 50% or more water change. Cycling stresses the fish a lot, and letting the ammonia go up too much will eventually kill them.

WHen are you rehoming the pleco?

For a 20gal you really are at a MAX for 2 fancies - you will need to do 2x weekly 50% water changes once your tank is cycled. I think that is what some members here do.

and the dashes are probably from the ammonia burning them :( and the bullying is probably because they are feeling cramped.

*sighs* so i'm going to go out and have to tell my mom that the nightmare is back??? More money going down the drain because then somehting doesn't work or is wrong, only to fall into more walls??

I can't do it :( The more I work with them the more I realize that they aren't snakes. You cannot just forget to feed them one week and the next they'll be fine. You can't let the tank go months without cleaning because then it'll turn into a swamp.They don't fit my lifestyle and I can't keep this up...

The tank isn't 20 gallons, it's 29-30 gallons. Love-A-Lot is an incredibly stunted comet and Hercules is probably stunted too from being kept in a 5 gallon tank with 18 other fish his size for two weeks.

The pleco won't sell easily seeing as he needs a 6 foot tank and can't be kept with goldfish or other plecos. My mom has told me numerous times she hates the care that goes into them.....but right now they are so weak I can't ignore them.

I need to act now before I even think of re-homnig them...

but if anyone wants them, just tell me :( :(

It's a hard truth. Goldies and any fish are more high maintenence than most people think. Much harder than dogs or other animals I think. I would immediately look into rehoming them to an aquarium store if you feel that you're not up to the task. Daily water changes should help with their ailments since the tank isn't cycled yet. Like Federica said two comets produce a lot of waste and they need 20 gallons each with large weekly water changes when the tank is cycled. Do you have a heater? Keepign the water at a warm stable temperature will help with cycling.

I know it's hard, but the water changes should buy you some time :(

Edited by Haruka

Once you have a cycled tank, goldfish aren't really all that hard. Feeding them daily and once a week large water changes. The problem happens is that most people put too many fish in an uncylced tank and then don't realize that during the cycling process the water needs changed by 25% each and every single day. In four to six weeks, once you are at the proper stocking capacity with the right filtration you are in easy street. But most people lose their first fish because of cycling stress...really in my mind the single most stressful thing for a fish.

The way to think of it is like getting a puppy. They are very cute, but the first three to six months are incredibly difficult. Having to take them out every couple of hours, even in the middle of the night, watching that they don't chew on anything, shots every couple of months, training, socialization...but once you get through that you are lucky enough to have an adult dog who is a great companion and who is house trained.

Sorry for your troubles. I think all dishes are more work than most pets except for chameleons. I would say cycling stress too. Comets are tough fish but they do have issues. Add to the water changes.

To solve the immediate bullying problem, you might want to put in a tank divider for the time being. I got one at the local fish store and it was not expensive. It's just a simple mesh screen--that would give Lovie some peace for now.

:)