Today At Ballet Class...

Lola_Granola

I was talking with another mother this morning while I watched Little Breeches twirl and plie. We started talking about pets somehow and she mentioned she had goldfish as well. I asked how many etc. She has 3 "carnival prizes" in a 3 gallon tank! Not only that, but she's had them in there for over a year! smiliesignWhat.gif

I told her about my experiences with Herman, getting him over ich, getting him in his 15 gallon tub, finding Koko's, etc. She told me that I was making her feel bad, because she changes the water in that little tank once EVERY 3 MONTHS! shocked-smiley-9444.gif Can you imagine? How can she even see the fish? And for over a year?

How is this even possible?

Those poor fish!

oh dear... BUT I am guilty of this! At 9 or something I also won a 'carnival prize' - a little single tail - the poor guy lived 5 years in the tiny box they give away for the fish - I remember not wanting more fish because 'the water stank' :( Now I am not sure if he died, but I THINK that I gave him away to a friend of my mom with a tank. Can't remember.

• Admin

Well it is sad, but commons and comets cant take some hard times. Most people just agree with the LFS and dont realize there is places like this that try to show people they can live for a long time and need alot of TLC. i think everyone has to start some where and some people dont want to learn more about them :(

by telling her about Herman and Koko's site you pointed her in the right direction, I think. Maybe she'll do some research now and change things for those poor fishies.

I think it should not even be allowed to give live fish out as carnival prizes.

My sister was doing the same thing :( so I gave her my old 20 gallon tank and even set it up for her and with in weeks they all died :( go figure ...she kept them in horrible conditions I go and improve them and then they die :( she's still waiting for me to come back and re set it up because she moved it into the dining room...

I thought for sure it must have been some kind of miracle, but I can see from the previous experience posted here, it must be more common than I realized.

So sorry to hear about your sister's tank Shellbell! All that work! Is she hoping to stock another tank?

And I hope this gal does come here (hopefully not getting upset by this post) and learn the right way to take care of those poor creatures! And even if she chooses not to come here, perhaps I've given her the budge she needs to become proactive and take care of them the way they should be.

I've never played the goldfish games before, but I can see why they are so popular. Such a sad industry.

My sister was doing the same thing :( so I gave her my old 20 gallon tank and even set it up for her and with in weeks they all died :( go figure ...she kept them in horrible conditions I go and improve them and then they die :( she's still waiting for me to come back and re set it up because she moved it into the dining room...

I had a similar issue with my sis' fish that was in a tiny bowl in the direst water I'd ever seen. Somehow it'd survived months in that and then I brought it to a large tank with clean water and he gets sick!

Any sudden change in conditions can shock and kill a fish...even bumping up in salt too fast. So going from nasty water to really clean water can shock and kill a fish.

This is exactly why I've never offered to clean my Gran's tanks, I'm up there once in a blue moon (she lives in Scotland like 5 hours away). She has 1 pleco in a 10 gallon tank she's had 15 years, and another 15 gallon with 2 plecos and some mollies in, neither of the tanks ever get cleaned out, just topped up occasionally, and there's strings of pleco poop EVERYWHERE. I know she couldn't maintain the tanks as I think is correct anyway, she's pretty robust but she's still a little old lady really. I might offer to take the fish when she dies (which definitely won't be any time soon) but I don't know what I'd do with three plecos. She's also got a goldfish in a tiny pond outside, he was out there all winter with hardly any water, he's stunted obviously. I know she can't afford to keep them better and I don't want to do a huge water change and kill them all off, doesn't say much for my fish-keeping if she can keep them alive 15 years and I kill them in a day! If I was there for an extended period of time I might do a tiny water change a day, but it's unlikely. I just have to leave her to it, sad though it makes me to see them.