Temporary Tub Tank Water Change Questions

So, with Herman in his 15 gallon tub, I was wondering about water changes. I've grown so used to changing his water daily, that it's become a habit. He's still only about 2 inches and very happy. He was becoming stressed out with those big daily water changes I feel.

Should I think about cycling this water since it will be a long while before I get him in his new tank? My gut tells me no, but I'm not sure.

Thanks you guys!

The water coming from the tap is a bit darker than 7.6 on my API test drop card.

The water in Herman's tub is 7.6.

I tested the water coming from my Britta filter just to see and it was 6.0, I thought filtered water would be better, but what a jump!

Yes ,if You have a filter in there , You allready have a cycle started .

As it progresses , You can do less water changes , but You have to monitor the water parameters to know for sure . :testkit:

Thanks you guys! I guess I thought I'd have to continue with the daily water changes and the tank would go un-cycled until I got the new tank cycled. Looking back on that hypothesis, it seems rather silly. character0303.gif

I've been taking water into my LFS to test during all of this and the NH3 is at 0.5 this morning, all other parameters were normal, so that's pretty good. I've got a master kit coming, and can't wait (found one for $20 online, the LFS wanted $35)! The LFS is using the dip sticks and I know they aren't the most accurate things out there.

Of course! I age the water overnight and change it each evening. Then I take it to the LFS and have it tested in the morning. They are rather tired of seeing me. I can see how my previous post may have been misleading.

Of course! I age the water overnight and change it each evening. Then I take it to the LFS and have it tested in the morning. They are rather tired of seeing me. I can see how my previous post may have been misleading.

OK Great

The ammonia shows up even though it is bound by the water conditioner, and the water conditioner is still effective for a couple days ,so the amonia that You are seeing is from the source water and will not harm the fish while bound.

As soon as You get Your test kit,You will see the nitrates show up and the amonia and nitrites go away.