Buff It Up

npila1

I am having problems with my pH. The tap water pH is 6.8 and the tank pH is currently 6.6-6.8. I put sea shells (the only thing I had at hand) in the aquarium, but it hasn't helped at all. I just ordered buff it up from goldfish connection and I expect to receive it in a couple of days. On the goldfish connection website it says that I should add 1/8 of a teaspoon per 10 gallons at a time and repeat this until the pH goes up. So, I have a few questions that maybe people that have used buff it up before can help me with.

1) Do I need to worry about the pH going up too fast when I add the dosage above (1/8 tsp/10 gallons)?

2) Should I remove the sea shells? If yes, should I do this right before adding buff it up?

3) Let's say I add buff it up a few times and I finally get the pH to around 7.5 (this is the optimal pH right?). What happens when I do water changes? Do I ever need to add buff it up again?

• Admin

Ok thats the starting point of using it, so you put in that amount, then test and repeat until you get it to the point you want, keeping track of how much you used to get the Ph to that level, then when you do a water change add that amount back in. I would remove the shells before you add it in to let the buff it up do its job.

I also always test to see where my Ph level is :) this way I can adjust the amount I use. :)

Hi koko thanks for the reply! So just to check, I should add buff it up in the new water BEFORE adding it in the tank right?

And it's not bad for my goldies when I add buff it up for the first time and the pH goes up fast?

• Admin

Actually you can add it to the tank when you get it, Just make sure you dissolve it in a bowl of tank water first then add it to the tank. I add mine at the end and my tank always looks like a snow globe but its back to normal in about an hour or two.

And the Ph wont go to far up when you do the small amount then repeat it in the morning, but you need to keep testing the ph before adding more every time :)