Getting Goldfish Fins To Grow

Guest uldene

So, I've seen topics on here about what to do if your fish has fin rot, and I'd like to start by saying there's nothing really wrong with Gertrude's fins. She's perfectly healthy. Her fins are just not as full as I would like them to be. So I'm wondering what is the best way to get her fins to grow? I change her water often. At least once a week, but usually more like every couple days. And I feed her a mix of pellets, blood worms and whatever fresh veggies and fruits I happen to have on hand. And there is new tail growth... you can see it if you're looking for it. I'm just wondering what else, if anything I can do to get those long flowing fins I see on some goldfish. Have any of you done anything specifically to promote fin growth, and if so what have you had success with?

• Admin

So true on how there genetics are. I have 2 kinds of Oranda's in my tank right now, one has fins bigger than its body and the other is just normal size fins. Some times even with great water and food you just cant get the fins to grow long, its kinda like us with hair, some peoples hair grow fast others grow slow :)

Well I've got her in a 30 gallon tank and I do water changes often so I don't think its a water quality issue. And she's only a couple years old so she should have some more growing to do, right? I guess what I'm really wondering... will her fins stop growing when she stops growing? I actually have been thinking of it along the lines of human hair. Where it may grow at different rates for different people but it is continually growing throughout your entire life. And there are things you can do to help it along. Vitamins and proper conditioning will make it stronger and healthier. Am I wrong to think that way?

I see where you are going, but I'm not sure how much you can compare fins with human hair. After all let's say a dog's hair won't grow longer and longer either, it grows only to a certain length.

If the fins keep growing, I doubt they really grow significantly. I'd rather compare them with a human nose or ears, which keep growing all our life, but very slowly.

I get what you guys are saying. I guess my line of thought is just based on a wrong assumption. Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes I need things spelled out for me