54G Roughneck

Has anyone ever used 1 of these for fish before? I'm looking to house 10 fish for 1-1 1/2 days while I switch the pond out on my patio. Does anyone know how to tell if they're fish-safe? Plastic makes me a little nervousboom.gifIt seems to me that a member had probs w/ her fish after using a plastic trash can,marked safe,to store water-Sakura,was it you?

My link

I use storage boxes from Ikea. My friend here at the fish store told me just not to use anything that said 'made in China' on it - apparently those have way more possibility of having bad chemicals.

If you are worried just put in some carbon in the filter. I don't think you should have problems for such a short time :)

Not helpful in any way, but I misread your title as 54G REDneck and was wondering what on earth you were on about :rofl :rofl :rofl

If I could put my fish in it/him,safely,for a day-I'd totally be open to itjtmuch.gif

I swear,it would be just my luck to be upgrading to a beautiful,new home for them-and wipe them out in the interim doh11.gifkrazy.gifI do not want the word OOPS to cross my lips even 1 time during thisoops.gifyeah.gif

I think the carbon will do it :) Just soak the tubs well in vinegar first. I am sure they are in great health to stay 2 days in there :) My Ryukins have been in those Ikea plastic tubs for 2 months and they are totally fine :)

These are the ones I use, I have the 35G for each Ryukin. How much space do you have? You could even get a couple of them if you have space, if you are worried of putting them all together?

My link

Wow,those look pretty good ! The only thing would be that I need to transport the 1 pond filter that I've got out there now,as well. PFs are bulky b/c the pump is like 15"x15",sits on the bottom,and takes up a fair amount of space. I do have an Ikea near me,and the fact that you've had your coveted ryukins in them all this time speaks volumesexactly.gifI will strongly consider it.........Thank you!

Some plastics have algaecide or fungacide in them .Soak them in 10 to 1 bleach for 30 min , rinse 3 or more times , then soak again with dechlor

I found translucent 52 gal. storage containers at Costco for around 20$

Homedepot and lowes have containers too

I recently found this great deal on 300 gal Rubbermaid stock tanks at Ace hardware 199$ and free shipping to the store!!!!!!!!

Those things are indestructable and Im using them to QT some Koi

They make smaller ones too , indespensable if You have a pond

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3962360&CAWELAID=457185559

Yup they are real good - and you use Prime right? (I just found that another conditioner was leaving a weird color on the plastic - Prime is perfect :)) Oh and I don't even have carbon in with the ryukins :) The only thing is that they get very wide over time - I have some doubled. But if you use them for a short time it should be fine :) I also use these to age my water etc.

wow it's going to be a huge move! good luck!