Came Home To A Dead Fish

molbert73

So I just got home from work and my new little red cap oranda is dead :( The black moor is still looking as healthy as can be (I just gave him a pea and he gobbled the whole thing up). I did notice yesterday that it seemed that the oranda wasn't eating but I wasn't totally sure either.

I bought him at a large chain store and he came with a guarantee for 14 days which would be this friday. I'm pretty sure that all they will do is replace the fish and I am fine with that. But I don't want to bring a new fish home to a possibly "sick" tank. I would bet money that the majority of the fish still at the store are the ones that he was already with so I don't think that I will be bringing home any new illness.

What to do, what to do?

Also, are orandas known for being less hardy? Should I just get another black moor?

Thanks in advance for the input!

oh sorry... :(

did you QT the fish together? or have you had the moor longer and didn't QT the newbie?

Do you know how to salt? I would salt the tank with the moor for a week just incase there was something that got in the tank - even go up to 0.3% to make sure.

They were in the same tank together in the store. The oranda did have ich that I was treating. I put some stuff in yesterday and maybe I accidentally put too much in? But like I said before the moor is swimming around normal and eating like a pig.

Can I salt with the ich treatment in there? I've been reading lots of posts about prazi as well and can I use that with salt?

I just want to take advantage of their guarantee if possible and I only have a couple days. And like I said in my other post I would bet money that the fish in that same tank are the ones that they were already with.

Should I do a large water change and hope for the best?

Enesta, mine came from the one on east paris and 28th. I went to both locations the day that I got them since that seems to be the only local store that has a decent selection. The east paris location had much healthier looking fish. And I actually talked to a very knowledgable woman there. Maybe she is working today :)

Edited by molbert73

you put meds for the ich? usually you just treat it with salt at 0.3% and warm temps

I would do like 2x 50% w/c to take out all the meds. and replace it with salt. you can see how to do that with the link on my sig - make sure you go first to 0.1 then 0.2 then 0.3 so the moor doesn't get a shock.

as for the 2nd fish I would wait if they are all so sick at the store :(

I will do the water changes and pick up some salt. I really feel like I might have overdosed that ich treatment and that did it. But why would the moor be acting totally fine. Unless the oranda was sickly to begin with?

They were great yesterday. I will check again and do a water change.

The fish at this store were in an immaculate tank and were all swimming around vigorously. Maybe I just pick out the bad ones.

Ich meds are usually very harsh. As Captain said, the oranda may have been a little "off" to begin with, and the meds just pushed things too far.

The best treatment for ich is salt and heat. First, do a total water change to remove all that yucky medication. Adjust the heater in your tank to about 80 degrees. Start with 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon (dissolve before adding to tank). 12 hours later, add another teaspoon/gallon. 12 hours after that, one more teaspoon per gallon, and that should put you at .3%. Keep the heat and salt in the tank (re-add salt in proportion to any water changes you do) until at least 10 days to 2 weeks after the ich appears to be gone.

Don't be discouraged -- all of us have had goldfish die on us, despite our best efforts. Don't give up! It's a really fun hobby.

Just did a water change and checked parameters. Everything is great.

I did about 40%. Do you think that I removed enough of the ich meds and it is safe to add salt or should I do 1 more water change and then add salt?

I wonder if the plants that I put in were bad. I bought the ones that are packaged individually at the store, not from a tank.

Also my tank does not have a heater. The reason my husband is on board with all the goldfish stuff is that they don't require a heater (Don't ask because I really have no idea why he feels this way)

Do I need to have a heater for the salt to work on the ich? Should I have one anyways or are the fish fine without it under normal circumstances? The store has a little tub in the tank with aquarium salt in it, can I do that?

Thanks everyone for all your help! I would be ripping my hair out if it wasn't for this site.

Heat isn't essential for treating the ich. What heat does is speed up the life cycle of the ich, so the encapsulated cysts break open more quickly and you can kill off the ich faster. But just .3% salt will do the job -- it might take longer, though.

Just about any aquarium salt is fine. You can also use pickling salt from the grocery store (much cheaper!), or basically any pure salt that doesn't contain anti-caking agents/yellow prussiate of soda.

As long as the temps in your home don't drop really low, your goldfish will be fine without a heater. I've personally found over the years that my goldies seem to do best in temps in the mid to high 70s (keeps their digestion going nicely), but heaters aren't technically necessary.

Edited to add: Do at least one or two more big water changes to get rid of all that ich medication. It's nasty stuff and might not be compatible with salt (not sure). In any case, it's strong and you need to get it out of there. ;)

Edited by RanchuDressing

what temp do you have without the heater?

Do you have active carbon? If you don't want to do another w/c and have good params you can add well rinsed active carbon (in a stocking) in the filter. The meds should get absorbed by it in 12-24hrs.

Don't worry, the beginning of fish keeping is a test of will power! Only the brave survive! :rofl

I had taken out the carbon in the filter because the meds said that you needed to do that. I did just replace the carbon when I did the water change. I am going to head to the store when my son gets home from school and get salt and dechlorinator/conditioner since I just used the last of it with this water change. I will ask them if they will give me a credit for the dead fish instead of just replacing it.

Don't worry, I plan on sticking it out! Believe me, I have learned patience when it comes to animals. My hobby is showing dogs :)

BTW Federica, one of my clients (I am a pet stylist) owns an import business and she just gave me my tip which is a months supply of swiss chocolate, YUMMY!

• Admin

If you ever treat baby goldfish with any liquid Ich meds guys, please make sure you do only a half dose (not talking about salt), Most of those meds are to strong for baby goldfish and will kill them if they are infected badly :(

Oh Yummy, chocolate! :whatjust:

What dog breeds do you show?

If you have the house at 70 that is slightly on the fresh side. I keep my tanks around 76. How large is the tank? Depending on the size it might be large enough to maintain higher temp if you fill it with slightly warmer water at each water change (like +1-2F every time) - that is how it works with my turtle tank, but her tank is 60gal.

I show pointers (english pointers) I got my start in english cockers. Been showing for 16 years.

So good news. I took the dead guy back to nnnn and they wouldn't even let me exchange the fish. Instead she gave me a credit and sent me out the door with a box of aquarium salt and some prime and told me not to come back till my existing fish has had no signs or ich for at least a week :) Pretty good for a large chain I thought.

So we will concentrate on making sure jerry is healthy and go from there.

sup carbon is fine for salt.

that is great with the LFS. :)

Hope the little guy feels better soon :)

Oh and I LOVE pointers! I have a scottish terrier and a dachshund :)

Whoops. Don't know why that posted again. The dangers of posting from your phone I guess.

I love daschunds! Long, short, or wire hair. Scotties are nice too. My favorite scottie is coming in for me to her hair tomorrow.