Goldfish Buddies

Guest Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

I have a fantail in my 20 gallon and right now he is by himself and very active. I want to know would he be ok by himself in the long run or would it be better to find him a buddy?

Boog has been alone since Elliot died, approx 3 weeks. He actually seemed just fine, active, curious, etc. Daughters goldfish, Sakka, seems lonely & bored. :( So I think it depends on the fish. Boog will have a friend in a few weeks though, Lily is in quarantine. :) Sakka won't as he is in a 15gallon.

20 gallons is really too small for 2 though. I'm pushing it with 25gallons!

Edited by redfish

Happier maybe but a 20 gallon tank rarely holds 20 gallons, better off with enough water then anouther fish. How about a mirror on one side? Or getting a bigger tank?

Guest Mike and Linda

Happier maybe but a 20 gallon tank rarely holds 20 gallons, better off with enough water then anouther fish. How about a mirror on one side? Or getting a bigger tank?

So what you are saying is that a fancy fantail needs the same amount of water that a single tail needs?

If your current fish does not seem lonely right now, I would wait with getting another fish until you have a larger tank.

It probably is POSSIBLE to keep two fish in 20 gallons, but this would require a lot more maintenance, like double the water changes, extra gravel vacuuming, etc. It is true, 20 gallons don't hold 20 gallons of water if there is a lot of gravel and ornaments as they all use up a lot of room, and if you don't fill the tank up to the rim.

Using some real plants instead of ornaments may help with maintaining good water quality too if you keep two fish, and a bubble wand or a couple bubble stones should be running 24/7 to provide a lot of oxygen.

Depending on the size of the fish this might only be working temporarily, as even fantails might grow to up to 6 - 8" and you'd have to switch to at least 30 gallons eventually.

But if you are not really planning on a buddy and your fish seems happy the way it is right now, I would just keep him by himself. I don't know how your tank is set up right now, but you can get the fish entertained with a bubble stone or wand, an empty flower pot, plants, a floating slice of cucumber etc.

I admit I have 2 fancys in my 2 current 20 gallons each but I do 2x 75% w/c's weekly ,I also have live plants,and a large bubble stone's and have never had any issues with my fish in these tanks :) But when the time comes and I feel they need more room I will def upgrade to a 29 high's for both, I just do not see the need for it at the moment :)

• Admin

The way i look at it........

If your willing to do the extra water changes for two fish in there and have a good filtration you could. i give my babies about 13 gals a peice, all of my goldfish in my 50 gal tank (4 goldfish) are only a max of 3" to 4" long (the biggest one), in my tank all there is is about 5 large marbles, 2 450 penguin filters, a sponge filter, air stone and one plant. i dont keep much in there so they can have the max room to grow. I also do a 60-70% water change every week :)

If he's active and you spend time interacting with him, personally, I'd say he's fine on his own :) I'm a firm believer in under-stocking, lol, and I think 20 gal for 1st and 10 for each other fish is a good starting point. I'm keeping just my 2 teles in my 40 gal (which holds 36, as Hidr pointed out) b/c the maintenance on under-stocked, over-filtered tanks never feels like work :)

Everyone has their own opinion and you don't know me from Adam, but this is my thought-

I believe it depends on your experience or lack thereof with goldfish. Be honest with youself as far as how much time you are willing to spend on them...even when you are extremely busy.

How often do you lapse in their care?

How much are you willing to spend to have the proper equipment?

Goldfish can be around for many years. Are you going to feel as motivated in 3 or 5 years?

What do you do if the buddies do not get along?

An understocked tank is more forgiving than an overstocked tank. I am always in favor of understocking.

Over the years, I have learned my limitations and would not put more than one in the 20 gal, unless it would be a temporary arrangement.

I think as long as you have good filtration, keep an eye on the water quality and do 1-2 %50 water changes a week, a 20G long for two of the smaller fancies is just fine! Of course you would then be at the absolute maximum, but it is doable. I would recommend avoiding the fancies that get very big like Orandas or Ryukins.

And there is always the possibility of getting a bigger tank in the future! ;)

I just have to point out that I love the way every one here shares different experiences, thoughts and beliefs in such a friendly, educational manor :D Sorry to change the subject, but this thread's sharing of ideas is just one of the many reasons that I love this place :D

My turn! Some have said it already, but my opinion is that if you have the extra gph punch (20x or more), do necessary routine water changes along with regular water testing to keep toxins to zero...then I think they would be OK for a while. ;)

Guest Mike and Linda

Thanks for every ones reply I do appreciate that and your thoughts. I think that it is good to have input from many different people.

I do test often sometimes every 2 or 3 days. I go through a lot of test kits. I always make sure that water is change weekly without fail. i want my fish healthy. I do have 2 spare tanks if need.

I would not let them live in bad conditions. Thanks again for your input you people are of great help.

• Admin

Thats what makes this place so unique everyone is will to share there information in a friendly way, and help each other....

Mike and Linda, I know you guys love your fish and will do anything for them. :)