Sign in to follow this  
Migaloo

So Has Anyone Actually Kept Guppies With Goldfish?

What happened? Did it work out?

I have 8 guppies in their own tank (shared with BNs) and my OH wants to put them in with the goldies when the 6 footer (finally) arrives. I said NO WAY - Im too afraid of the cute little guppies getting eaten!

Im curious, has anyone here ever tried it?

Edited by Migaloo

No experience with that, but I don't doubt for a minute that the goldis would go after the guppies.

Only female guppies will work just fine. I had a few virgin female guppies that grew bigger than the ones who had to mate with males at 5-6 cm. They survived with my 6-8" singletails the longest time than anything else.:)

Fang I know what you mean! Goldfish will put anything into their mouth that fits!

That's interesting Lupin... why do you suppose its only females that will work? Is it purely because of their larger size?

All of my guppies are male and approx 4cm. Guppies with my GF is something I am very curious to try, but fear for the guppies lives is stopping me., Fiance says "c'mon - just do it - they'll be fine in the huge tank bla bla bla" - he has asked me repetitively about it for months LOL, but I really do not want to try it at the expense of the guppies. They are such cute little munchkins!

Still... there are things I find myself pondering over....

The biggest goldfish is my redcap - he is fatty boombala and has a body about the size of my palm. My ryukin is slightly smaller - both could easily eat the guppies. All the others are only 2 - 3 inches - so probably couldnt really eat the guppies.

Also, guppies are so fast and zippy... they just zip around the tank constantly... how could the goldies even catch them? My redcap just waddles around the tank - he's very ungraceful! LOL

The other thing is the baby BN I have in my big tank is about the same size as a guppy at the moment... he has grown up in that tank and the goldfish show no interest toward him whatsoever and never have.

So yeah... these are the things I wonder about..

Would also be nice to have one less tank to think about!

Edited by Migaloo

The female ones will have better chance purely because of size, yes.:)

So based purely on size, the little goldfish couldnt eat even the male guppies then...

On the flip side, I would probably also worry about the guppies nipping the goldies fins... they are cheeky little guys!! :P

I doubt it. Doesn't happen often.

I have two goldfish big enough to fit all guppies in there mouth. Unless you don't care they get ate I would not risk it.

Yes, and even if the goldfish are too slow to catch the guppies, the poor guppies.... it would be like locking you into a house with a limping homicidial maniac.

Poor guppies would be so stressed out.

I can see how it works with smaller goldfish and guppies, but with the goldfish growing to be so much bigger than them... I really don't think it is a good thing to do.

I have kept guppies and WCMMs with singletail goldfish (they were quite big) and they were all OK. But those goldies didn't even destroy any plants except duckweed, so they were kind of special (they still are, just in a pond ;) ). And they could definetly eat the gups if they wanted to (I know because I was feeding them koi pellets that were as large as the little gups), but they never did :)

When i moved from Ca to Or I had to put the guppies and goldfish together, on the way up and for a month in a tank when i got here cause i set up the 45 gal tank only to have it break 4 days later.

now my goldfish ate all the small guppies but not the adults, so if you dont mind them being a nice snack then I say go ahead but if you want the guppies to breed and have babies dont do it.... Is like a sushi bar to the goldfish :o

Yes, and even if the goldfish are too slow to catch the guppies, the poor guppies.... it would be like locking you into a house with a limping homicidial maniac.

Poor guppies would be so stressed out.

yikes.gifyikes.gifyikes.gifkrazy.gifkrazy.gifkrazy.giflol.GIF

Yep and my guppies weren't happy with 2 huge goldfish swimming with them for a month... :o

if you do decide to put the guppy in with the goldfish... get out the stop watch and time the seconds . maybe you can place bets on who will last out longest :unsure: