How About This Stand?

My vintage 70G Metaframe is on an original Metaframe steel stand. Just 4 legs, no middle brace. The empty tank probably weighs almost 200lbs due to the 11/16" thick slate bottom and 3/8" thick front and back glass panels (1/4" thick on the sides) and 15 10oz tubes of silicone holding it all together.

I have it standing on oak door threashold plates that I purchased from Home Deep Hole, cut to lenght and stained to match our 100 year old fir floors.

No problems at all.

Here's a shot of it after I cut it apart and made it 5" deeper in order to fit the 70. It was originally under my vintage 55G.

Standfinished.jpg

Here's the 70's original stand. Not much to it:

AsFound.jpg

ArrivesHomeresized.jpg

And the 70G that's now sitting on the stand:

TankFinished.jpg

Very nice Austin! Love how it all turned out!

CFG: I love IKEA, but Mr. Petty Officer does not. Little Breeches and I go to goof and get ideas. If I sneak in the purchases without telling Mr. PO where it came from, many times he likes them. Silly!

Well, we've decided to go with this one: stand2.jpg

I really like the wooden one but Mr. Petty Officer wishes to have the metal one. It is less expensive and we will be able to see under the tank so that will be nice. I'll do some rearranging in the kitchen to store all of the fish accoutrements so it won't look messy.

Thanks for all of your ideas and opinions! You guys ROCK! bf-gitarsmiley3.gif

BTW, I liked that wood stand alot too. My only concern would be how the finish would hold up over time with exposure to water. I don't know about your fish, but mine love to grab a tail full of water and huck it over the side, usually at me......as in, "Hey, how 'bout some food pal."

Thanks for the compliments on the tank and stand. Yes, the fish are huge. The big male common is a solid 8" tip-to-tip, and 3" tall. The other 2 are an inch or so smaller, and an inch or so smaller.

Very nice Austin! Love how it all turned out!

CFG: I love IKEA, but Mr. Petty Officer does not. Little Breeches and I go to goof and get ideas. If I sneak in the purchases without telling Mr. PO where it came from, many times he likes them. Silly!

Well, we've decided to go with this one: stand2.jpg

I really like the wooden one but Mr. Petty Officer wishes to have the metal one. It is less expensive and we will be able to see under the tank so that will be nice. I'll do some rearranging in the kitchen to store all of the fish accoutrements so it won't look messy.

Thanks for all of your ideas and opinions! You guys ROCK! bf-gitarsmiley3.gif

I would have gone with this one but there is one structural thing that i dont like about that stand.

From back to front (green arrow) there is 2 "X" braces that make it almost impossible to shift, but from side to side (red arrow) there is the problem. it would be nice if they would have added a 3rd "X" brace in the back making this stand really tough.

stand2.jpg

It's fine without that bracing, but if you wanted to add it, you wouldn't need to weld. Just buy some flat steel (flat stock) and use self drilling screws and an electric drill with a bit to hold the kind of screw you buy. Cut the steel with a hack saw, and then let the self-drillers do their thing.

It's fine without that bracing, but if you wanted to add it, you wouldn't need to weld. Just buy some flat steel (flat stock) and use self drilling screws and an electric drill with a bit to hold the kind of screw you buy. Cut the steel with a hack saw, and then let the self-drillers do their thing.

Good Point Austinado, just a drill and some self tap or some nice Stainless Steel bolts(for rust and shinny) :)