How About This Stand?

My husband, always wanting to keep things as inexpensive as possible (that's one of his jobs), wants us to get a metal aquarium stand. I'm rather afraid of them. This house is older, and when folks walk you can feel it. I would rather have something wooden and sturdy. (That and I'm wondering if the tank should end up downstairs in the finished basement where we have a sump pump in case if floods!)

Any who....

What do you guys think of this stand?

stand.jpg

Error link.

I got a metal stand and am surprised about how sturdy this thing really is. I actually trust it more than I would trust the wood. Not sure what the one looks like that you are talking about, but this is what mine looks like.

Especially with the tank filled the stand shows how sturdy it is. The floor in this room isn't THE best either, but I do trust this thing very much.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/stand.jpg

Ah! I must be looking in all the wrong places then. I've not seen any stands like that. Only huge cabinets, wobbly looking metal stands and those like my initial photo in the OP.

I'm happy to be able to take the time to make the right decision, but I didn't expect the search to be this tough! ;)

Kitty is actually a girl. There we go again, me and the girls. :D

It doesn't wobble. Only if the tank is less than half full. The weight of the tank and water itself keeps the stand in place.

Even if I really push against it, it budges only an inch, maybe. I guess if I WANTED to I could push the entire thing over, which you could also do with a wooden one though. But why would you do that? If I wanted to I could kick the front door in, but why would I do that? You know what I mean?

Looks nice , kinda like Mission style .

Looks plenty strong to Me . The fascia board going across the front , just under the top , is what makes it strong .

It is sold as an Aquarium stand , is'nt it ?

Looks nice , kinda like Mission style .

Looks plenty strong to Me . The fascia board going across the front , just under the top , is what makes it strong .

It is sold as an Aquarium stand , is'nt it ?

It is sold as an aquarium stand. Reasonably priced and solid wood to boot. That's what had me considering this stand.

I'm over-cautious with this kind of stuff, though. I don't like that the metal stands don't have a solid top; I like to put foam under my tanks for shock absorption.

I am very paranoid about this tank too. I want it to be as safe as possible. I sure wouldn't want it to fall on Little Breeches! That and we lease this house (moving military family that we are).

I like the look of the wood and think it's pretty as well.

Here's one Hubby was looking at:

stand2.jpg

That one looks too modern to Me , but I like antiques......actually to most of You , I am an antique

I don't like open stand because you can't use the bottom for storage - or it looks messy.

Is it still going in Little B's room? Have you checked Ikea? They have a lot of things and in different prices. I got a couple coffee tables and/or media storage tables there for my 30-40gal tanks last year. They are REAL sturdy. Then Little B could also see in it better as it would be more her hight :)

I have 'tried and tested' these:

My link - this one I painted

My link - this one I just got yesterday for my office and it is REAL sturdy. I have 2 betta tanks on it. And I just go crazy form all those drawers.

My link - this one is also good - but doesn't have storage

My link - and this one currently holds my 50gal hatchling tank plus books etc - this one is STURDY

okey enough with the links! Not sure if you guys use Ikea as much as it gets used here in Europe, but I highly recommend it. The stuff lasts like 10+ years, totally unbreakable. They also have more wooden things if that is what you prefer etc. You should take little B :) My mom always took me when I was a kid, then we had lunch there. :yeah:

I thought I'd be more the cabinet type, but since I got my metal stand I really appreciate it. Since the bottom of my tank is not completely covered in gravel it is so much fun to watch the fish from underneath sometimes. I store the fish stuff on a small shelf and enjoy the light of the tank shining through the bottom and illuminating the room :)

I also don't need to worry that somehow moisture will start to make the wood rot. Unlikely, but I'm one of those people that always has those unlikely things happening to her...