Help! Injured Ryukin

Guest Deb

Hello, I need help with Zippy, my 6.5in Ryukin. He has mostly matt scales, but a few are shiny. One of the shiny scales on his side looks like it got caught on something and is lifted almost completely up and is red and irritated at the base where it is still connected. What should I do? Wait for it to fall off? Will it go back down on its own? It like having a finger nail bent all the way up and then stuck like that. I already started him on medi-gold abx because I can tell it looks like it will get infected. My ammonia is zero and my water paramaters are all within normal limits. He is swimming around normally and eating o.k.(he always eats ok). Any advise would be appreciated.

If you could please answer all of these questions here we should be able to help you further :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Assuming the cause is injury, the scale can still regrow. That might fall off eventually. I'd just dose a teaspoon per gallon of salt as well as a precaution. Repeat next 12 hours to sum up 0.2%. Injuries always serve as gateway for bacterial infections. The salt will prevent bacteria from latching on the wounds.

Thanks for everyones reply. I did dose the tank with salt before going to bed last night as well as starting him on medi-gold abx. Today, his scale is starting to lie back down normal and some of the redness is going away. I did a partial water change yesterday and all my parameters are looking good. I guess I'll just continue to monitor him and my water quality and continue to abx for 2 weeks just to make sure. It's weird, I've had goldfish for 5years and that is the first time I've ever seen a large scale get bent back like that before. I didn't know what to do. Thanks.

I had 1 of those last week too-and the only thing I could figure was that she rubbed up against a filter intake b/c I don't have decs in my tank. I would treat it -successfully-then it would get red again. Ken told me to push it back w/ my finger,so it would drop off-or it would just keep reinfecting. I did,and it's been great since then-no redness-just a lighter colored spot where the scale wasbingo.gif