White Cloud Minnows?

Nomi

I have a quick question. My Dad has been making a stink about wanting fish other than goldfish in the 80G, specifically schooling fish. The only fish I am thinking that would work would be white cloud minnows. I'm really only worried if they would cause any problems if my goldfish do happen to eat them. Ideally I'll quarentine them before adding.

While the goldfish are small they well be ok but you are right they may eat them at some point. How about a couple dojo loaches. Need at least two or three and they need 10 gallong each but if you only have the three goldfish you have room. And they are very cool fish.

Agreed with Hidr on the White Clouds...fine for now while your GF are small but once they mature the White Clouds probably will be history...I like the White Clouds for my tropical community tanks since they do well in different water temperatures. ;)

Thank you for the replies! I've tried to interest him in dojo loaches, but he wasn't too keen on that (more of an 'Ew, no!' sort of thing). I like them, but then again there are not really any fish that I don't like!

Except for the little ryukin in QT, my goldies are mid sized, about 10-12 cm (4 inches and a bit). I wouldn't be to worried about my ranchu going after them, but my fantail is a bit faster.

I agree that the mountain minnows are probably too small. But what about platies? I've heard that they are pretty peaceful community fish that don't tend to be nippy. As long as you have a heater in your goldfish tank set to at least 75*F, I think a group of platies should do just fine. There are plenty of different colors and patterns your dad can choose from as well. And they are a bit larger than the minnows. Probably only the biggest goldfish could fit the platies down their throats.

See what others think too, but I think platies might work out.

Oh P.S.! They are live-bearers though that have the ability to reproduce rapidly! So if you do get some, I'd ask the pet store employee to do their best to only catch one gender. If you get a mix of males and females, you could end up with more than you want, even if some of the babies get eaten.

Edited by Sakura

Hmm, I've never heard of platies being kept with goldfish before. I'm a bit skeptical about that one... Way back, before we got goldfish, we used to keep platies. Needless to say, we ended up with way too many platies! XD Luckily the genders are pretty easy to tell apart.

If it were entirely up to me I would have nothing but goldfish! :P

I agree that the mountain minnows are probably too small. But what about platies? I've heard that they are pretty peaceful community fish that don't tend to be nippy. As long as you have a heater in your goldfish tank set to at least 75*F, I think a group of platies should do just fine. There are plenty of different colors and patterns your dad can choose from as well. And they are a bit larger than the minnows. Probably only the biggest goldfish could fit the platies down their throats.

Oh P.S.! They are live-bearers though that have the ability to reproduce rapidly! So if you do get some, I'd ask the pet store employee to do their best to only catch one gender. If you get a mix of males and females, you could end up with more than you want, even if some of the babies get eaten.

As long as the platies never inherited the swordtail gene (which I am afraid most actually do), they'll be fine. Swordtails are practically more aggressive and nippy so some platies that do inherit such genes tend to be less passive than the pure ones. Platies are absolutely fine with goldfish. Even if there are females around, the babies will undoubtedly less likely to survive. Breeding is not really an issue if you lessen the number of hiding places.

As long as the platies never inherited the swordtail gene (which I am afraid most actually do), they'll be fine. Swordtails are practically more aggressive and nippy so some platies that do inherit such genes tend to be less passive than the pure ones. Platies are absolutely fine with goldfish. Even if there are females around, the babies will undoubtedly less likely to survive. Breeding is not really an issue if you lessen the number of hiding places.

Hey Lupin! I actually got the platy idea from you. I've read where you said platies are okay with goldfish before on the forum somewhere.

I personally would always prefer to keep goldies alone. But if your dad is that set on getting some schooling fish, it seems to me like platies are your best bet...

Why not just have a bunch of different looking goldis, that's what I did. As you can see in my sig they all look so much different, and the red/white ryukin/fantail mix isn't even included yet.

That's what I keep trying to tell him! I'm worried that I'll come in to work one day to find that he's dumped some neon tetras in there. >_<

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to 'try out' a small group of WCM's to see of they'll work out, and move them to another tank if any minnow-eating occurs. My main concern is any possible damage eating a minnow would do to my goldfish. I cannot imagine that there would be any, but better safe than sorry.

Maybe I can just get him to forget about it until I get a few more goldfish in the tank, then I can just tell him that the tank is fully stocked!

Nomi, please explain to your father some fish are not meant to be combined. Neon tetras are absolutely not compatible. They're too slender and small to avoid being eaten even accidentally. Your only good choices would be platies, female guppies, bristlenose plecos, dojo loaches and medium sized rainbowfish (preferably Melanotaenia praecox). I didn't mention the male guppies since they easily fit the mouths. Anything that fits your goldfish's mouths is practically an expensive meal anyway.

If you do not mind spending a few bucks, you can always try white cloud mountain minnows. While they're very fast, it's not always 100% guarantee they won't be eaten at all. Same can be said with danios.

Nomi, please explain to your father some fish are not meant to be combined. Neon tetras are absolutely not compatible. They're too slender and small to avoid being eaten even accidentally. Your only good choices would be platies, female guppies, bristlenose plecos, dojo loaches and medium sized rainbowfish (preferably Melanotaenia praecox). I didn't mention the male guppies since they easily fit the mouths. Anything that fits your goldfish's mouths is practically an expensive meal anyway.

If you do not mind spending a few bucks, you can always try white cloud mountain minnows. While they're very fast, it's not always 100% guarantee they won't be eaten at all. Same can be said with danios.

I have been talking to him about how goldfish don't have many compatable tank mates, and I do hope he listens. He is a smart guy, but as a smart guy it can be very difficult to get him to change his mind about something once he's got an idea in his head. Heck, I've been telling him that goldfish do best in a single-species situation for the past 5 years! XD WCM's seem like a reasonable compromise, but I would like a goldfish only tank the best.

I would worry about danios picking on Jack, my Ranchu, as he is slower moving than my fantail. I know they can be a bit rambunctious.

I would not keep platies with goldfish. They are a warm water fish and have different food needs. On koko's website she has a place that tells you what is ok to keep with goldfish.

Here Why not set up a tank like a 10 or better yet a 20 gallon for him to have some different kind of fish in. It could be a Christmas present.

I've kept minnows with goldies, but only ever with pearlscales who are too bad at swimming to chase them. You've got to look at it not only in terms of the goldies eating the minnows, but they may chase them and even if they don't catch them the minnows will be constantly stressed, not a happy life for any fish. I certainly wouldn't put them in with my speedy orandas. Disabled goldies only! If you've got a mix of goldies, particularly fantails, orandas and ryukins, I don't think you'll have any schooling fish for very long, they'll be pestered to death if not eaten if you're not lucky in having placid fish. Danios may be an option, but look at the character of your goldies too, if they're pretty calm you might be fine, if they chase everything then maybe not...

Dunno...I've always felt most comfortable just keeping goldfish with goldfish. What the heck, load in a few telescopes and everything will be just FINE! :alc

YES!

I think it would be awesome to have other fishes in there. If it would work. I dunno about platies they need warm temps and warm temps stress my fishes. Bristle nose cats of the ancistrus genus might work, but they are far from schooling. Female guppys might work too. There is a tetra i have read about called the buenos aires tetra. It is a cooler water fish of 64 to 75. If your house is like mine it might work. They school and get to about 3 or 4 inches. They naturally live in nuetral to mildly basic water and soft to medium hard. Another option that id love to try is native fishes. If you can find captive bred fathead minnows, which might work since they are bred for bait, which get to 4 inches and are cold water or shiners, can be found as bait too, which can get from 6 to 12 inches depending on species. And if you have a native fish enthusiast around, look on the north american native fish association site if in US, you could get madtoms which are small catfish which get to 4 to 12 in depending on species. Fatheads are bright red and shiners are yellow or gold or red or blue or stiped depending on species. Just make sure to quarantine and he you choose natives let of know. I want natives so bad but have no moola for em. Lent it all to parents

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/fwverts.html#minnows-shiners

Here's a cool place to get native US fishes. :)

Or you could just go to Pet/co and get a school of rosy red minnows for 13 cents each. They have the same requirements as goldfish and you could just have the store person pick out the larger ones for you so they wouldn't get eaten by your gf. Right now I have one rosy in with one 4 inch gf and they are perfectly fine together.