Precious Steve Urkel Is Acting Depressed...

85Gal

ammo:0

nitrite:0

nitrate:0

pH: 8.4

temp:24

So Stevie was real active until a few days ago. SInce friday he is mostly hiding under the plants and bottom sitting :( He still eats even tho it is getting harder for him to get food with the larger fish around who are faster and see better.

I think he will have to go to the 30gal as soon as it finishes cycling. Maybe I should just take a handful of media over and move him now? I am sad because the entire 2 weeks he had been doing great. I am torn on it as he seemed to LOVE the room :(

So I have now 0.1% salt. Tomorrow is water change day where I will also raise it to 0.2% and clean out a filter (and the tubes are they are full of brown algae)

Possibilities I came up with:

- Flukes? (COULD have been brought in by one of the larger fish that I added last-I will also Prazi tomorrow then)

- Bullying? I have NOT noticed this and I have been keeping an eye on things, everyone seems to be very gentle with each other.

- Bacterial Probs? I don't see any sign of this... But usually the signs come once the fish is more ill.

Any ideas guys? Should I move him and care for him separately with salt and prazi? leave him here and make them do salt and prazi all together? (I will do it for the entire tank anyways as you never know - especially the Prazi)

So sorry to hear this Federica. Little Stevie is too cute to be feeling under the weather. :( If this is only going on since friday I would add the salt and just wait and see. Especially if no one is showing signs of flukes. I worry that by using the prazi too often maybe at some point it won't be useful anymore. :undecided: This is just my opinion I have no proof of this but that is usually what happens with the other meds and we need to remember prazi is a med.

Also if you can find a way to make sure he has enough food, that could make him act lazy if he isn't feeding enough. I hope he perks up real soon. :heart

If it were me,I would move him to his own tank,not add anything,and see how he does. If he perks up w/ his own space and no competition for food-fantastic! If,in a few days he doesn't,you can treat just him. I am very leery of adding too many things to their water-even salt.

I agree with Edith about holding off on the Prazi. I wonder if the current may be getting to him? Maybe he was fine the first few days, but now it's beginning to wear him out? I know he is real tiny. Just a thought. Hope he feels better soon, and keep us updated!

Edited by Sakura

I also think it might be a good idea to put sweet little Steve in the other tank for a bit and see how he does. If he perks up, you'll know there is some condition in the other tank that is putting him off a bit. If he doesn't, then you'll that you need to look for another cause, I do hope it is nothing and that it is an easy fix (changing the current, or getting a tank divider so he can eat without the others grabbing his dinner or something like that)--he is a cutie pie!

Hi guys! Well last night it was like 2 am am I felt so bad for him so I Prazied before going to bed (turning the UV off). This morning he is swimming around. So I don't know if it is a coincidence or what! I will see how it goes.

As for the Flukes Sir A and Einstein have been gulping, so I anyways wanted to do a few rounds to make sure. I think it is better if you are putting fish from different places in the same tank - all have been treated but some might have had a heavier load of flukes to start with. I am sure the ranchu babies, Steve and House were 100% clear (or close). The large fish I am not sure.

The current isn't very strong in the bottom of the tank (I mostly have spray bars). He was hiding under the rock/jungle these past few days, I thought because the light was shinning in his eyes and he was looking for shade.... But he also did it with the lights off.

I will give him a few days. I don't want to move him too fast because he deserves a chance to be in the large tank :) And in the beginning he was so acting like the 'tank leader' I hope he snaps out of it.

I will clean the tank good today - I especially don't like the icky algae in my canister tubes!

thanx Susan! He seems more spunky today - he got lots of food because he was actually searching smart today :)

About the eyes - I guess they are like telescope eyes - how vulnerable are they to injury? Like, if another fish sucks them by accident? I am always terrified of eye injuries! :doh11:

I had a bubble eye in with my ranchus for awhile. He would get so tired just trying to keep up. I eventually started pulling him out for a rest once or twice a day in a bowl. He seemed to enjoy the break and would return to his friends with more spunk. I think the less aerodynamic fish just get tired faster and need a break.

I am about to do a water change and clean the pipes well. he still is very happy today! I think it was the flukes or something that was upsetting him. he won't stop swimming around looking for food with dr.house and chunky monkey! he is back to his old self it seems :)

i think that if it was the current he would have had issues from the beginning, it has been 2 weeks since he went in.

He is still doing great! I wonder what was wrong with him? Today he was back to making a pile with 'his food' and guarding it :bingo:

YAY!! Great news! You know, Mortimer acted funny once and the other fish starting picking on him, so I moved him to a qt and he went back to normal over night, like he just needed a break from the others or something. We've seen that they each have a personality, maybe some get stressed if they can't get any quiet "me time" :idont

Buggy the weird thing is that nobody ever picked on him... :idont I didn't change anything except add the salt and Prazi - but I doubt it would work so fast.

OTHERWISE, could something be funky in the UV Sterilizer? I also switched it off when I added the salt + prazi - turning it off could have had a more immediate effect than anything else.

I would really just look to the problem being a difference in 'types',bubble eyes are just 'compromised'.You know,like keeping Teles together b/c they have the same 'handicap' finding food-or whatever..........