Bill Nye Still Hiding

Kerstin

Hi there,

Bill Nye the baby betta is still hiding in his little spot on top of the filter. Could it be that the current produced by the filter is too strong for him? The only time he did swim around it kind of blew him across the tank even though it's on the lowest setting... Right now I have it attached to the short side of the tank so it is blowing across the long side. I'll try moving it so it blows across and maybe leaves him some more room without the current?

Or could it just be that he is still getting used to the place? He did eat his pellets this morning and a freeze dried blood worm last night. He is a tiny little guy, maybe just about an 1 1/2 incl. his tail...

Any advice?

Thanks for the tips .ok. I'll turn it off right now. How many water changes should I do without having a filter? And I have gravel. I'll try get some floating plants tomorrow.

I agree with Hidr turn it off and see what happens.

Also, do you have anywhere for him to hide? Bettas like to have a hidey hole. Terracotta pots on their sides work well. I found a Greek vase ornament at the pet store that my betta loved.

I agree with Hidr turn it off and see what happens.

Also, do you have anywhere for him to hide? Bettas like to have a hidey hole. Terracotta pots on their sides work well. I found a Greek vase ornament at the pet store that my betta loved.

He has a little log he can go in and there is a biggish silk plant with wide leaves, which is by the filter where he is sitting. Maybe I should put my terracotta pot in too. So he does have options. I did turn off the filter.

Put in the terracotta pot, too now. I'll take a photo and try to upload it at work tomorrow. Then maybe you guys can tell me where to improve.

if he doesnt have anywhere else calm to go or hide to, then no doubt he will go there. seen it happen with my bettas and my friends as well. But once you start tossing in ornaments lets say or plants. he could migrate. i wouldnt call it a CONCERN though. id call it. his chill spot. but def. turn it off and see what he does next.

I think he is looking a little bit more relaxed after I turned off the filter. Took the filter out, too. He swam a little bit. Still in the same area, but at least he is not wedged on top of the filter...

Can you add a smaller filter? What size tank it is? Sorry if you mentioned that on anouther post but I'm old and can't remember. Is the tank cycled? Can you use media from anouther tank in some panty hose to help it cycle?

When I kept my betta's in 1 gallon bowls I did 2 times a week 100 percent water changes. But in my 6 gallon planted tank I did about once a month and it does not have a filter either just a small bubble stone for some top water movement. However planted tanks with live plants change the rules a little.

Can you add a smaller filter? What size tank it is? Sorry if you mentioned that on anouther post but I'm old and can't remember. Is the tank cycled? Can you use media from anouther tank in some panty hose to help it cycle?

When I kept my betta's in 1 gallon bowls I did 2 times a week 100 percent water changes. But in my 6 gallon planted tank I did about once a month and it does not have a filter either just a small bubble stone for some top water movement. However planted tanks with live plants change the rules a little.

It's a 2.5Gallon tank with a heater, but no real plants. I have gravel and put some Nutrafin cycle in. It's a tiny little filter for 2 Gallon tank. It was on the lowest setting, but still bothersome for him I think. I could put some gravel from the goldie tank. Would that help with the cycling? Should I get a bubble thing?

How often should I change the water? I do have a drop test kit for my goldies. so I can do water tests.

Sorry for all the questions. For some reason it seems easier for me to see if my Goldies are happy or not, probably because they are more active and of course I've known them for a while...

Ok I would get a small bubble stone and a very small air pump. Just enough to move the top a little but not upset the fish. Mine gets a film on the top if I don't have something moving the water some.

Most people say you can't cycle a tank under 5 gallons so I would do water test daily and see what your tank needs. Over time you well be able to establish a routine that works best for your tank. But I am guessing twice a week 50 to 75 percent water changes would work.

Later on you might want to add some plants once you get the hang of the tank and that well help filter the water.

Ok I would get a small bubble stone and a very small air pump. Just enough to move the top a little but not upset the fish. Mine gets a film on the top if I don't have something moving the water some.

Most people say you can't cycle a tank under 5 gallons so I would do water test daily and see what your tank needs. Over time you well be able to establish a routine that works best for your tank. But I am guessing twice a week 50 to 75 percent water changes would work.

Later on you might want to add some plants once you get the hang of the tank and that well help filter the water.

Thanks Hidr.

Just saw him exploring his tank a little bit, but he went back into hiding so quickly that I almost thought I'd imagined it. lol

I'll get him a little bubbler later this week. :-)