Gender Determination For Spicey & Chibi

Ok, as said before, I have these two only for a short while now, two months at the most. They are growing well, and it looks to me like they are both girls. Spicey's vent looks very much like an outie to me. Full size view recommended.

SpiceyOutie.jpg

Chibi (I had to hold her because she has ants in her pants and can't hold still a single second) looks like a tiny outie to me. It's hard to get a good photo. And she is so tiny. This is my THUMB next to her. D'awwww

ChibieOutie.jpg

looks like possible girls! also House has a huge outie! :rofl

Just be careful with nets for bacteria and it can also harm their tails and scales :) just use your hands or a bowl :)

I had to get Chibi out of the water or she wouldn't hold still. I read that catching them with your hands is worse than the net because supposedly with your own skin you can injure their slime coat more than a net? So the bare hand is actually better, if you have to get them out of the water?

I hardly ever use my nets though, which was the reason that when I fished Hugo out back then to rehome her into the 55 gallon, I didn't even know that the old net that came with my tank was )!*%^!)**!?/ too small for her and it tore up her tail pretty badly because she was literally fighting the net. Gawd, that fish has some strength. I think I'd need both my hands to hold her :D

But yay, girls! Vanille too looks like she's got an outie, hers looks almost just like Spicey's and with Spicey I am very much convinced that she is a girl as her vents looks like Hugo's and I saw Hugo getting rid of the zig zag thingy when she re-absorbed her eggs.

Kind of funny how I always get girls. Six goldfish, and five of them are femmes. Which is funny because in general with pets I somehow always end up with girls, except for my first cat when I was a kid, Garfield. Both my other cats, most of my birds, a guinnea pig as well as both my dogs are girls. I also think that both my apple snails are girls. :glare:

So I will just think of Sucky Fishie as a girl too. Too bad there's no way to find out with common plecos, unless you have an actual couple.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

It's funny because I always ended up with guys!

Yea the hands are better - you just have to clean them well before with vinegar and soak them in the water so they get nice and soft - you can also rub on some Stress Coat to make the slimier. :whatjust:

Eh, I don't use vinegar to clean my hands. :P Don't get me wrong, I think it's great if you do, but it's not entirely necessary IMO. But I do make sure to wash with organic castile soap and rinse well if I think anything bad for the fish has been on my hands. It's not necessary to stress too much about things like that because in such large tanks any minor traces of contaminants will be diluted so much that they won't affect the fish. Plus fish gills are naturally equipped to handle small traces of impurities :) But I agree with not using nets. I think those are generally not good, they are too abrasive for the slimecoat, the scales, and the fins. My two cents.

I'd say Spicy is definitely a girl, but I can't tell about Chibi from the photo. You can also go by vent shape. Female vents tend to be more egg or teardrop shaped, while male vents tend to be more narrow.

I'd say Spicy is definitely a girl, but I can't tell about Chibi from the photo. You can also go by vent shape. Female vents tend to be more egg or teardrop shaped, while male vents tend to be more narrow.

Ok, one more reason I think Chibi is a girl, her vent is not narrow at all. w00t! Girls!

Federica, sounds like we gotta get our fish together for some speed dating :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang